Cactussed

E61 M5 vs e39 B10 V8 - My impressions

I've had an E39 525i Sport and absolutely loved it. It got written off so I replaced it with an Audi. Hate the thing and selling it to get another E39 but never actually considered an Alpina.

It has everything going for it but the one thing that stops me is the body styling and looks. I think the E39 Sport simply looks amazing and hasn't aged at all, but looking at the Alpina, I can't help but feel it just looks so dated.

I've had an E39 525i Sport and absolutely loved it. It got written off so I replaced it with an Audi. Hate the thing and selling it to get another E39 but never actually considered an Alpina.

It has everything going for it but the one thing that stops me is the body styling and looks. I think the E39 Sport simply looks amazing and hasn't aged at all, but looking at the Alpina, I can't help but feel it just looks so dated.

It is based on an SE model, an individual then upgraded to Alpina/customer spec - pure performance and luxury despite not having sport bumpers and spot lights - that's around all the visuals apart from wheels, maybe you find the alpine wheel sets old fashioned as well.

if so, then it a sport only, I agree 540 sports are nice, particularly when spec, is good - but you looks inside a top spec alpine 540, its a nice place to travel in.

Edited by urquattro

I think the E39 Sport simply looks amazing and hasn't aged at all, but looking at the Alpina, I can't help but feel it just looks so dated.

I think it depends if you go pre or facelift, the facelift with Alpina wheels looks pretty good to me (but then I'm biased)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a 14 year old car with 130k miles my B10 V8 Touring aquitted itself very well against a 1990's 911 Turbo this evening - the Stuttgart car giving up the chase when it was evident the Buchloe car wan't losing any pace whatsoever despite heading into relatively high figures.

A friendly flash and wave followed later from the humbled 90's icon  

The unusual icing on the Pork humble pie was the fact the Alpina also had a top-box attached  :lol:

Haha, no, just lots of pork pie.

There were three cars in a row approaching a roundabout leading onto a dual carriageway; an E46 M3 Coupe, myself, then the Porsche. We had all followed nose to tail for the last three or four miles with no overtaking opportunities and then all entered the lane to join the DC and I said to Mrs Sharkfan that this could be entertaining as I knew there was a two lane entry road onto the dc. As we exited the roundabout the M3 made a schoolboy error and got stuck behind a truck, so myself and the Porsche had an empty horizon to aim at. I was already in Switch-Tronic so thought 'what the hell, I don't use the revs that often, lets give it a go'. I used all of second and third gear in Switch-Tronic and the Porsche stayed with me but as the revs rose in fourth he started falling behind and pulled out of the running. We both fell back to more moderate speeds and we flashed lights as he left his exit a few (quick) miles later.

It just bought home to me the sheer breadth of capability of the B10 V8 cars and their amazing engine and gearbox combination as hours earlier I'd been stuck in a slow jam and I had just left it in effortless auto as the stop-start traffic slowly made progress.

I had b10 v8 too. What a car! Mine was in velvet blue ( purple) cream leather with all the toys. It was a 99 car that cost 69 k! I bought it for 13 k about I think 4 years after. Loved it. Currently got 540i, but like op was after a 550i touring, having come from a Chrysler 300c srt8 estate. All photos on my newbie post.

Hi,

The facelift front bumper on the B10 does look a lot nicer due to the small foglights.

If the front bumper is the only thing putting you off bang a sport bumper on there instead!

Once you've driven a v8 you'll wonder why you've not had one before :)

Cheers,

Gavin :)

I agree the Sport looks better but the Alpina is all about subtlety. The face lift looks better than the sport (if you squint your eyes)

The 550i Touring really is a rare beast. According to how many left there were only a few. The 545i T is a little more common. I'm not suggesting a vanilla bmw is as good as an alpina or an m but for the money I think these v8 Touring are a proper bargain.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk