problemchild

E60 HID Fitting Guide

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=E60+bulb+hid+holder&isNewKw=1&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=e60+bulb+hid+holder&trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xe60+bulb+hid+holder

The trick is that if you put the holder all the way up towards the bulb's 'metal base', then you can't turn it. Don't push it all the way - leaving a gap will then enable it to be twisted / made to sit the 'correct way' with the return wire downwards.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=E60+bulb+hid+holder&isNewKw=1&_pgn=1&epp=24&itemId=&isRefine=true&mfs=GOCLK&acimp=0&sqp=e60+bulb+hid+holder&trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xe60+bulb+hid+holder

The trick is that if you put the holder all the way up towards the bulb's 'metal base', then you can't turn it. Don't push it all the way - leaving a gap will then enable it to be twisted / made to sit the 'correct way' with the return wire downwards.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot!

No probs fella - let us know how you get on getting rid of that annoying shadow which not only shows up on the ground infront but also on the actual headlight lens too.

No probs fella - let us know how you get on getting rid of that annoying shadow which not only shows up on the ground infront but also on the actual headlight lens too.

You are absolutely right mate it odes show on headlamp too. It needs to be sorted out, I  will come back with an update! 

Mines are 6000k and it looks great on a blue color car but in terms of visibility not the best, I should probably go for 5000k, it will give me a bit of a blueish color plus better light!

I went with 5000k - it's the perfect balance between not too yellow (4300k) and not too blue (6000k).

All hid bulb will change to a higher kelvin rating with age anyway so a 5000k bulb will probably be around 5100-5200k after a couple of years.

If one is looking for the maximum light output then the lower the colour temperature (kelvins) the brighter the output (lumens).

A hid bulb running on higher powered (more than 35w) ballast will result in an apparent reduction in the colour temperature. So a 5000k hid bulb on a 50w ballast will result in increased brightness but decreased colour temperature.

That is great explanation 530dE60.

So if I would like to change my 6000k to 5000k will I need a new kit or just the bulbs if they can be bought separately. I guess I better give a phone call to hidsdirect! :)

Thats great! and cheaper than I thought it would be! :)

many thanks! 

I found them on hidsdirect as well, the same price! :)

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-35w-replacement-metal-base-hid-xenon-bulb-set-2-bulbs/?setCurrencyId=1

Thats great! and cheaper than I thought it would be! :)

many thanks! 

I found them on hidsdirect as well, the same price! :)

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7-35w-replacement-metal-base-hid-xenon-bulb-set-2-bulbs/?setCurrencyId=1

Ordered yesterday - received today! What s service! :)

Mines are 6000k and it looks great on a blue color car but in terms of visibility not the best, I should probably go for 5000k, it will give me a bit of a blueish color plus better light!

Hey vlady hows the 5000k going have you got a pik of how it looks once turned on? My 6000k just died out on me and thinking of buying 5000k but i agree about what you said 6000k looks good on a blue car but i wanted to see someone with the same colour car as mine running 5000k before i make the purchase. ;)

Hey vlady hows the 5000k going have you got a pik of how it looks once turned on? My 6000k just died out on me and thinking of buying 5000k but i agree about what you said 6000k looks good on a blue car but i wanted to see someone with the same colour car as mine running 5000k before i make the purchase. wink.png

Hey Ifti,  I find 5000k are brighter and still have a little blueish color, On the pictures you can see how they differ one to another but I have a suspicion that 6000k were installed not entirely correctly (not done by me), so I swapped them with 5000k I made sure they are connected right and sit tight inside the headlamp socket and it it much better than it was, so honestly do not know who to blame mate, my mechanic who fitted HID kit with 6000k for me or the light quality of 6000K!

I had a problem twice since I installed 5000k, usually I am driving with light sitch in automatic position but when it's too sunny I put it in off position, so you turn auto ON again one of the headlamps are not working and message comes uo saying that left headlight is faulty, basically I had to restart the car couple of times with the light switch in auto and it fixed the problem, I have no idea why this happening may be somebody can advise on that or have the same issue! So I am trying not to play anymore with the light switch.

I hope it helps!

Unfortunately I dont have pictures with the whole car on it and light ON but I have these!

post-53947-0-43601500-1429947035_thumb.j

post-53947-0-18783000-1429947042_thumb.j

Vlady cheers for the write up, ive had no issues with the hid being left on auto. I usually leave the light toggle to th ON position instead of auto i prefer it switched on all the time. Plus it goes off when i take my keys out and also my welcome lights come on when i unlock so i have no issue with that. Ive heard the 5000k has a slight bluey to it which i totally dont mind as it looks good. But cheers for the photos are they the current 5000k supposedly you have on?

Vlady cheers for the write up, ive had no issues with the hid being left on auto. I usually leave the light toggle to th ON position instead of auto i prefer it switched on all the time. Plus it goes off when i take my keys out and also my welcome lights come on when i unlock so i have no issue with that. Ive heard the 5000k has a slight bluey to it which i totally dont mind as it looks good. But cheers for the photos are they the current 5000k supposedly you have on?

No problem at all.

1st picture is showing 6000k bulbs and 2nd is 5000k,

Yep, this is what I have on just now mate.

Have you decided what you will go for?

Did you manage to get the 'return wire' of the HID bulb facing / pointing downwards ? Probably easier to tell by looking at the beam pattern...

I think they are facing up :(

I tried the other way but I'm sure I couldn't get them to twist into place the othe way.

I have this issue! ;(

You are absolutely right mate it does show on headlamp too. It needs to be sorted out

So guys its taken me a whole year :roll: to get back with pics to actually show how to get the HID bulb to sit so that the bulb's 'return wire' (the bar on the HID bulb) is facing downwards. This is a common problem and I would say most installs out there will have ended up with the bulb's return wire facing incorrectly upwards since the bulb holder and the bulb base plate when matched up prevent the bulb's return wire to sit in the correct downward position.

A reminder how the bulb return wire facing the wrong way impacts on the beam produced. Check out the shadow on the floor...

post-34622-0-30465100-1454968928_thumb.j

post-34622-0-48523200-1454968946_thumb.j

And here it is again as seen on the headlight lens...

post-34622-0-20372700-1454969108_thumb.j

post-34622-0-59108800-1454969095_thumb.j

Another example...

post-34622-0-46605700-1454969244_thumb.j

So when installing, the return wire MUST be DOWNWARDS or you end up with the above ! And the issue is not merely the shadow on the floor and the shadow on the lens - it messes up the way the light leave the projector causing the overall light output to appear inferior when compared side by side to another set up where the bulb return wire is correctly positioned downwards.

Here's how to get it right. The next pic below shows the offending tab on the bulb holder as circled in its default / unmodified position.  

post-34622-0-90423000-1454969948_thumb.j

Another pic from a slightly different angle of the same bit (circled in red) on the bulb holder showing it sticking up in its unaltered original state...

post-34622-0-25575300-1454970353_thumb.j

To enable the bulb to orientate such that the return wire sits downwards, this problem tab on the bulb holder needs to be push flattened just as shown in green circle below...

post-34622-0-84254000-1454970618_thumb.j

The flattening can be achieved with a flat head screw driver or some pliars. Could try using your thumb but its pretty stiff and you risk bleeding :lol:.

Thanks again to JJ for getting this brilliant write up done. HID/Xenon install is a great mod on the E60 LCI halogen projectors and getting the bulb to sit the correct way round maximises the end result. Hope the above addition helps anyone looking to get this install absolutely spot on :).

Edited by andy-e60

It's strange that for many years "most" H7 HID bulbs seem to be made incorrectly.

If you compare a halogen H7 (with filament support bar) with HID H7 you will see the difference.

the HIDs or the Halo bulbs?

HIDs - why would they? the light is cooler than halogen  :P

Halos - why would they? they have heat sink and cooling fans on the back of them that unless they get obstructed, keep them cool

JJ