RingsideE34

New owner 3.6 M5

Front suspension now fitted and it drives so much better than before :D no more crashing over bumps, next up im fitting my 535i power steering pump, deleting the SLS and renewing the rear suspension,  will fit my new parcel shelf whilst im there (long over due). 

After that ive got plans to delete the air pump,  fit a lighter flywheel and recon the alternator, then a few bits to sort on the interior.  Not sure the to do list will ever end but im still enjoying the journey

I spent several hours of polishing and waxing this weekend, a few pics....

FpR7G1n.jpg?1

dK2yraj.jpg?1

qcPh4h7.jpg?1

UIz8JVp.jpg?2

Edited by RingsideE34

Its been a little while since ive updated this,  things have been a bit hectic but still making progress on the car :)

Shortly after getting the car back together and polished up to enjoy the end of the summer i manged to break the gear linkage :angry:

eVmRp9M.jpg?1

I got this fixed and whilst in there i fitted the shorter of the two E60 545i "short shifters"  which is p/n 373...... i hated it and quickly swapped it out for the p/n 261 which is slightly longer and a huge improvement over the stock feel! 

CMSJMKs.jpg

Then the car tried to set fire to itself :angry:

zQanttB.jpg

dHz41tM.jpg

The fuse for the heated rear window melted,  i think i had a lucky escape and the damage to the wiring wasn't that bad, replaced the fuse box casing + a small amount of rewiring....all sorted.  Im now running without the rear heated window fuse and some googling tells me its not an uncommon on E34's and E32's.

I then treated the car to a long overdue tyre upgrade

TVkEn4I.jpg?1

NPL7TV1.jpg?1

I have to say the improvement is huge... money well spent

Courtesy of Dave @ Classic MD Autos i upgraded to Black 3.8 M5 Kick plates,  i think they look much better than the original 3.6 grey items. 

pWo8t56.jpg

Edited by RingsideE34

The car then went up to Dave @ Classic MD Autos to fit one of his lightened flywheels and various other jobs,  big thanks to Dave here!

As is my luck the sump was diagnosed as having cracked and a replacement item was fitted,   New clutch, lighted flywheel and new rear main seal fitted.

q0ZiqpR.jpg

y8RDqBK.jpg

Ye1yXD9.jpg

8wMMpCP.jpg

Dave also deleted my SLS 

3IQEqHH.jpg

14sXaXO.jpg

Fitted my 535 PAS pump

qUeBmHa.jpg

And fitted the rear Koni's + H&R 

bejZ4CP.jpg

lfXmv1m.jpg?1

converted to a 535 PAS hose/reservoir setup

fkkMCeY.jpg

Also upgraded to a new 20mm Rear anti roll bar

8GDYyuD.jpg

And refreshed the diff oil 

pgpecHb.jpg

Edited by RingsideE34

I then pulled the inlet off to have a 2nd attempt at getting it painted up nicely.   Whilst inlet was off i addressed some other jobs..... 

Had the alternator refurbished

qkmpiIw.jpg?1

Fitted a new Bosch stater motor and replaced various hoses like the brake booster and the some coolant lines. 

ymA3m8p.jpg?1

Also added a 12in sub in a small box 

xhCqrlx.jpg

That's pretty much up to date,  the car now drives better than ever and the lightened flywheel has made a huge difference,   really happy with the car now  :D.... but still a long list things i want to do in the future... 

Edited by RingsideE34

32 minutes ago, RingsideE34 said:

I then pulled the inlet off to have a 2nd attempt at getting it painted up nicely.   Whilst inlet was off i addressed some other jobs..... 

qkmpiIw.jpg?1

Fitted a new Bosch stater motor and replaced various hoses like the brake booster and the some coolant lines. 

ymA3m8p.jpg?1

xhCqrlx.jpg

That's pretty much up to date,  the car now drives better than ever and the lightened flywheel has made a huge difference,   really happy with the car now  :D.... but still a long list things i want to do in the future... 

32 minutes ago, RingsideE34 said:

qkmpiIw.jpg?1

ymA3m8p.jpg?1

xhCqrlx.jpg

Looking great, what future plans do you have for the car? 

I've never met Dave but can say he's always been very helpful to me and has a wealth of knowledge on these cars. If I didn't do the work myself he's likely one of the few people I'd trust to do the work for me.

Edited by Azmontana

Future plans include..... 

Take the car back to the paint shop to address some small bits and re machine polish. 

Recaro front seats similar to the 20 jahre seats

Redo the rest of the exhaust system and delete the cats

Get the car remapped

Convert to an aluminium radiator and electric cooling fans

Re trim the back seats and door cards 

Upgrade the front brakes

Delete air pipes in the exhaust manifold and ceramic coat

Replace the oil cooler

Replace all hard Brake and fuel lines

Convert to 535i air con lines and bracket

The list goes on and on but i think ill take a break for now :)

Edited by RingsideE34