RingsideE34

New owner 3.6 M5

Hi All,

Just like to say hello and introduce myself,  a couple of months back i bought an E34 M5 3.6 with a veiw to restore it over the next couple of years, ive owned a few BMWs and always wanted an E34 M5.  I veiwed a few cars and held out for the best colour combo in my mind Black,  with Black leather.

Currently she is in the bodyshop having major work done (replacement sills and bulk head).  So far ive spent a small fortune fixing her up and its definitely a long road ahead.  She needs alot of TLC but hopefully i will get there in the end.

Anyways, Hello to all  :D 

Regards

Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy,

Black/Black is indeed a great combo and will certainly keep you on your toes if you're a clean freak. ;)

Reads like a great project and like most e34's now, sills are where the time and money need spending...

I look forward to seeing some pics.

C.

She needs Brake pipes, fuel pipes, bushes throughout, fuel tank (which i now have), full exhaust system (which i now have), valve adjustment, throttle body balancing + full service and general tune up, full respray, turbine wheel covers this is a must! .... the list goes on & on :???:

But it has some things going for it,  the engine was fully rebult circa 35k ago,  the interior looks brand new (i recently had the leather professionally reconditioned and a new steering wheel with M stiching and gearnob fitted),  car has recently had replacement SLS on the rear new disics and Pads all round.  Additionally Im told by a couple of previous overs David Gilmour from Pink Fllyod was the first owner,  i have a few Receipts with the Car with a D.Gilmour mentioned and i see the car has been up for sale over the years with this mentioned but i have no other proof,  True or not im not overly fussed about that.

I had a new clifford alarm fitted and various other items purchsed/replaced like expansion Cap, Coolant level sensor, drivers door lock actuator, washer jets, BMW number plates (im sad like that) again the list goes on.

Thanks for the welcome i will get some pics up,  The guy at the bodyshop is taking some as the work Progresses.

Regards

Andy

:D

Edited by RingsideE34

Welcome to the forum and its great to hear another E34 is being restored. I also look forward to seeing pictures maybe you can start a project thread.

Welcome along.  It had heated rear seats and a nice spec as I recall.  DId the history check out ok as there had been a mileage adjustment ?  It looked nice in the for sale ads though.

Hi All,

Yes there is a discrepancy in the mileage,  the car is now showing 129k however i spoke at length to the previous, previous owner who sold the car in 2013 having owned it since 2000.  Very nice guy, he told me the car had covered 148k when he sold it and sent me the advert he sold the car with to prove, it had been laid up off the road since 2009 i have the SORNs to prove.   148k ties nicely into the history i have with the car and the years it was off the road.

Given the condition i bought it in a few months back there is no way the car had a legitimate Mot in 2013, so the car has either been clocked back 19k miles (why on earth would you bother)!!!  or the car has had the instrument cluster changed from a car with a lower mileage perhaps due to the pixels failing. 

Who knows why,  Either way its circa 19-25k miles out given usage since 2013,  I'm certain the car has covered circa 150-155k with the receipts of the engine rebuild at 116k.  I'm looking into changing the mileage back to what it should be to get her honest again.  

Whilst not ideal about the mileage, i didnt let that put me off,  after all they are hardly ten a penny and id been waiting for over 18 months for the right colour combo to come up for sale. 

Regards  

Andy 

:D

Edited by RingsideE34

post-55679-0-84989100-1421781252_thumb.j

RUST! behind the pedal box.

I didn't take any pics of the sills before it went to the bodyshop,  but they didn't look to bad (from the outside) the bulkhead however has gone badly....

Edited by RingsideE34

Mine was on 179k before the work started, wings, cills etc etc but once you get stuck it it gets more exciting each day, and one day its almost finished, but there is always something to list/do on a M5.

So this one finally surfaced!

Glad to hear its been taken on by someone who's going to give it the time and effort these cars deserve.

As said, pics are a must!

or the car has had the instrument cluster changed from a car with a lower mileage perhaps due to the pixels failing. 

IIRC only the coding plug has to be changed, as that has the mileage on it ?

Re. 1st owner, I think you can now apply for a small fee to the DVLA for a history of previous owners of your car. I have a sort of a link to Nick Mason, so could ask to have a question passed to Nick for forwarding on to David re. ownership, could take time though.

cableguy, on 31 Jan 2015 - 6:51 PM, said:snapback.png

"^^^^^^ Martin, off topic but do you have any pics & details of your 3.8 e34 Wagon? ;)"

Pics of all your Fleet please Martin.

Well I rarely photograph any of my cars & not wishing to hi-jack the thread, 1 pic with 4 of them in it. The E34 (1 of 209, 538 Super Sport Touring's :D,completely stock) hiding behind the 928 GT

post-31529-0-72963100-1422914481_thumb.j