Retset

Anybody carry a spare wheel?

67 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, sshooie said:

One corner?

I calculate one side because, typically, the jack takes a lot of weight off the other wheel and can even lift it if you wind a bit further.

Although I carried a space saver in the E91, I am keeping my new F11 on RFTs. Permission to buy the car came with one caveat: "Only if you stop carrying that stupid wheel in the boot" ;)

So, look out for a grey F11, with a flat RFT, driving unbelievable carefully to try and stop it shredding before getting home .....:blink:

Edited by Retset
sshooie likes this

I've just bought a F11. I pick it up Thursday.

ive bought a bottle of slime and a small compressor. If i get a flat I'll put the slime in inflate the tyre and drive and it will seal. Hopefully no tyre damage and all you have t do is wash the tyre out to do a puncture repair.

They make a tyre pressure sensor friendly slime now!

i have used it successfully in motor bikes in the past 

Edited by Stressed

5 minutes ago, Stressed said:

If i get a flat I'll put the slime in inflate the tyre and drive and it will seal.

No, that's what it says on the side of the slime bottle.

Reality can be very different.....

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

No, that's what it says on the side of the slime bottle.

Reality can be very different.....

I am only going by my past experience of using the product. I'd rather try it in an effort not to ruin the tyre. I know it's better than the expanding foam they supplied with my wife's fiesta that wrecks the tyre.

I carry a compressor and a puncture plug kit, as the vast majority of punctures are a screw in the rear tyre this equipment should get me home unless of course a sidewall is split on a kerb or pot hole. 

8 minutes ago, DickieG said:

I carry a compressor and a puncture plug kit, as the vast majority of punctures are a screw in the rear tyre this equipment should get me home unless of course a sidewall is split on a kerb or pot hole. 

Good idea. I carry the compressor in the car but don't have the puncture plug kit - off to the bay I go...

47 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Good idea. I carry the compressor in the car but don't have the puncture plug kit - off to the bay I go...

I watched a truck driver on Outback Truckers fight to get these plugs into a truck tyre. He did it and I rember thinking that they might just help you out on a car with no spare. You need to be able find the leak in the first place of course.

My father in law has had bad experiences with slime, hence the phone call to me at 10pm asking to borrow one of my trolley jacks so that he could take a wheel off my sister in laws car to take it to kwik fit as the slime didn't work and he had no jack and no spare.

In other words if he couldnt borrow my jack she was going to kwik fit on the back of a low loader all in an effort to save some weight to save some pennies on fuel!

1 hour ago, Stressed said:

Thanks but I'd rather just plug the hole if I did get a puncture. At least if it was permanently repairable a patch could subsequently be glued on the inside of the tyre. With the tyre gloop there's no chance. 

11 minutes ago, sshooie said:

No and I reckon they'd be a complete mare.

Yup, just ask Steve Grahame of Outback Truckers and he'll vouch for that!

10 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Has anyone used these plug kits in a real situation?

I repaired a rear puncture on my Honda Silverwing using this kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/XtremeAuto®-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-STRIPS/dp/B004JFZGRO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505763706&sr=8-5&keywords=tyre+repair+kit

The repair lasted for several thousand miles until the tyre wore out and it never lost any pressure, it was as a result of this experience that I bought several more kits for the other cars in the household.

At the end of the day if a puncture is a slow one, with a compressor you can stop as/when necessary to pump up the tyre to get you home or if it's more serious you'll hear the hiss to locate it and should be able to plug it with this kit plus no slime and/or it gives you the opportunity to repair a runflat tyre (provided it hasn't been driven when flat).

Just to confirm with the slime it is easily washed out of the tyre for a permanent repair which I have had done on motorbike tyres. The cans of foam are a different matter!

I am looking forwards to collection the car on Thursday. Going from a 12 year old A4 with 115k to a 22 month old 5 tourer with 13k on the clock will be a very nice change!

2 hours ago, DickieG said:

I repaired a rear puncture on my Honda Silverwing using this kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/XtremeAuto®-TYRE-PUNCTURE-REPAIR-STRIPS/dp/B004JFZGRO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505763706&sr=8-5&keywords=tyre+repair+kit

The repair lasted for several thousand miles until the tyre wore out and it never lost any pressure, it was as a result of this experience that I bought several more kits for the other cars in the household.

Nightmare on a rear 19/20' wheel though with minimal clearance, I bought mine on the off chance it' a front puncture and easily accessible.