Retset

Anybody carry a spare wheel?

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OAPINGT said:

Hi yes i carry a spare wheel kit complete with jack etc,

when i I changed from run flats I stripped out all the support materials and storage holes and things to make a space for a spare wheel which fits fine I keep my jack and even a set of snow chains all stored in there,then I fitted a piece of mdf to sit on top and have a boot liner to to keep it in place to carry the important equipment!

the golf trolly and clubs !!

I bought the kit from Alloy Wheels Direct.net. BMW Emergency Wheel kit.

aprox £312.00 back in 2014 job done!

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Hi 

What year is you car? Was the tire/wheel too fat for the original lift up carpeted boot floor

Thanks Paul

Hi my car is a 2012 and the spare is a space saver type not very wide !

oapingt

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

Hi 

What year is you car? Was the tire/wheel too fat for the original lift up carpeted boot floor

Thanks Paul

But, that is the 5GT - No such space in the F10 nor F11.

Edited by Matthew Ashton
sshooie likes this

14 hours ago, OAPINGT said:

to carry the important equipment!

the golf trolly and clubs !!

So you are a Golfist?

You should buy a Jag then.

I've been called lots of things worse than a Golfist so yes I am !

And as for buying a Jag I'm not sure about that , my GT sailed through M O T yesterday at 5 years old with 65 k miles on the clock! Barely started to get run in and the tester said to me it feels like a brand new car !

And he told me the car didn't register anything on the emissions test!! Not bad for a deeeezal !!!!!!

now where did that white ball go !

535i Andrew likes this

2 hours ago, OAPINGT said:

And he told me the car didn't register anything on the emissions test!! Not bad for a deeeezal !!!!!!

I think all modern diesels struggle to register on the MOT station's smoke detector machine. The noxious gas levels are so low with the diesel engine (and newer petrols), mine has been clear during its 4 MOTs to date and the tester told me it was part of the procedure he had to go through even though the numbers didn't actually register. Unless there is an issue with the engine this will probably always come back clear and unmeasurable.

Oh heck. Just seen I started this post in 2015 saying I won't buy an F11 as no spare. Now I have bought an F11 with no spare. What am I like? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Retset said:

Oh heck. Just seen I started this post in 2015 saying I won't buy an F11 as no spare. Now I have bought an F11 with no spare. What am I like? :rolleyes:

Buying my first E60 virtually 10 years ago I felt a bit nervous about buying a car without a spare but other than mashing a wheel into a pothole and making it square I have never had an issue.

Yes it's a jack, albeit it a 1½ ton non BMW jack, but I've also bought an E39 one to try.

It will live in the boot for now, the only reason I bought it is an impending visit to our white flag flying French friends next week when I take the daughter back to uni. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have n=bothered and still may sell it when i get back, we'll see.

Oh and with less than a week to go guess who's passport ran out last Sunday....Doh!

17 hours ago, sshooie said:

Just had this bad boy arrive...

20170914_163841.thumb.jpg.257e10da9d2d96f8a3f533bb01367c97.jpg

I Can't see this one for £185?

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/bmw_spare_wheel_kits

They list an E60 one for £185, but no steel for F10/11, mibbies you got the last one, lol?

I wonder, will it stand upright against the back of the rear seats and clear your load cover? I'm debating getting one as £185 is quite reasonable.

1 minute ago, sshooie said:

Cheers, I thought you had bought it from the same link as the OP.

My bad.;)

sshooie likes this

@Stressed

You do not need to quote an entire post full of pictures to add a one line question!

@sshooie

If it is bad why did you buy it and how do you know it is a boy?

Edited by Alexak

3 hours ago, Alexak said:

@Stressed

You do not need to quote an entire post full of pictures to add a one line question!

A bit harsh being told off for asking a question about a specific post when trying to gather information before I buy a new car!

you need a better jack than a 1.5 ton one, empty kerb weight is near 1900..

Edited by welshpug

32 minutes ago, welshpug said:

you need a better jack than a 1.5 ton one, empty kerb weight is near 1900..

One corner?

Anyone have a link or the spec for some steel wheel nuts, or do the stad nuts work on both?

Edited by sshooie

5 hours ago, sshooie said:

Anyone have a link or the spec for some steel wheel nuts, or do the stad nuts work on both?

The same size wheel bolt is used on the F10/F11 and the F45. On the F45, Realoem specifies a Steel space saver as the only steel wheel available and this uses the same bolt as the alloy. I say this because the F11 specific spacesaver is alloy and there is no steel wheel option on our cars.

So by deduction the bolts you have will be ok for the steel wheel so long as the hole depth on the wheel is similar to the genuine BMW steel wheel. 

Bolt part number: M14 x 1.25 - 36136781151

sshooie likes this

5 hours ago, sshooie said:

The existing bolt head mating face is conical and there will a conical/tapered shaped hole in the wheel. Therefore as long as you line the wheel correctly up with all bolts by tightening finger tight first to seat the wheel on each conical bolt head before final tightening you should be fine.

sshooie likes this