Retset

Anybody carry a spare wheel?

91 posts in this topic

I'd like an F11 but a recent 3 hour wait for a recovery truck because of a split tyre (OK, so I removed the RFTs   :razz: ) made me decide my replacement car had to have a spare wheel. I keep looking at things like the Passat but, perhaps understandably, am not that excited at the prospect. Well, apart from the boot; the E91 just isn't big enough for me.

I know you can buy a spacesaver/repair kit and lash it to the boot floor. However, I want another car to get a bigger boot with more floor area so a space saver strapped there is pointless.

I wondered if anybody carried one, whether there is anything that can be done under the boot floor, whether one can be carried vertically on the side of the boot etc.

Is there no space for a spare wheel in the e91??  If so, thats a very bad design fault lol.

I'm sure there is space, usually under the boot floor.  I know its an optional extra on most new cars and where the wheel is meant to go, they usually put some removable storage.

Perhaps trade up to an e61?? :D

Get an e60 on 19" wheels, they come standard with non run flats and a spare wheel with plenty of boot space.

Get an e60 on 19" wheels, they come standard with non run flats and a spare wheel with plenty of boot space.

I do keep my eye on Autotrader and Pistonheads! ;) Whilst I decide what to do, I'm ordering a wheel bag and will carry one of the summers in the boot with a jack etc. so I'm not stranded again. Of course, it will have to come out sometimes but OK as a short term measure.

Superstar - I had the same experience this weekend except I'm still running runflats - pressure indicator came on, within seconds the car felt really bad to drive but luckily I was 1 min from my home.  The tyre (goodyear 245/45/19 98v RFT) has split where the outer tread joins the sidewall - no obvious cause.  in any case the split is around 5cm long on a tyre with around 5mm tread left.  The car is underivable.  I've seen a lot of forum posts about the increased ride quality of moving off RFT's, but now having experienced my first puncture on them I'm struggling to see any benefit what so ever; basically with or without runflats, the only real way to avoid a big inconvenience is by carrying a spare in your boot .  It's such a poor design for an otherwise great car.  Like you - in my frustration I'm looking at the alternative manufactures out there as I simply can't afford the space compromise of carrying a wheel all the time.  When you factor in the additional cost of these RFT's, the ride compromise, and the inconvenience I can't fathom why BMW persist with such a disappointing solution.

SuperDave likes this

Or a late E61. I had 19's on mine with a space saver spare under the boot floor, now I have a massive GT with no space for a spare, that's progress. However I have non runflats and a Continental comfort kit which is a compressor and latex foam.

Or a late E61. I had 19's on mine with a space saver spare under the boot floor, now I have a massive GT with no space for a spare, that's progress. However I have non runflats and a Continental comfort kit which is a compressor and latex foam.

Which is OK for a small puncture, but a rip because the concrete side wall RFT decides to part company with tread area, no.

I have a spare wheel kit after getting stranded at Heathrow and had to get transported back home (60 miles)

I've long considered a spare but cost and space keep putting me off also, there's not a lot of ground clearance around the jacking points on the F10 (M Sport), I wonder how easy it is to position a jack with completely flat tyres?

you can jack the other side of the sill unless both are flat, can get it high enough to lift both wheels off the same side.

I have an E39 jack, it fits fine on the F10 and on the Touring at least, fits in the storage pocket on the left hand side. Wrapped it in something so it doesn't rattle.

The spare has to go in the boot, it does not fit under the floor (the battery is in that spot, and even it it wasn't it would not fit).

sshooie likes this

15 minutes ago, Carlton said:

I have an E39 jack, it fits fine on the F10 and on the Touring at least, fits in the storage pocket on the left hand side. Wrapped it in something so it doesn't rattle.

The spare has to go in the boot, it does not fit under the floor (the battery is in that spot, and even it it wasn't it would not fit).

Good to know thanks

I recently took my winter wheels for a refurb and just managed to get 2 wheels  I the boot with little space left for much else, had they been staggered is have got just one of the rear wheels in. I know the spare will normally be a space saver, but it must still take up a huge chunk of an F10 boot.

^Yeah, two F10 wheels fills the boot. I just managed to get my two 275 tyres on 9" rims in the boot when going for a refurb, one lies flat pushed as far forward as you can get, the second lies at an angle supported by the tyres of the first.

I'll get flamed for saying this but, this is of of many reasons I stuck with the rfts and primarily avoiding finding my car with a flat tyre on the day I need to pick the littl'un up from nursery. If I missed that pick up, life would not be worth living especially if it was to avoid paying more for rfts!

Humm, but that's not really what runflats are for?  They are meant to get you to the nearest tyre centre, not via the nursery. 

If you had normal tyres and a spare, at least you could change the tyre and only be 5-10 mins late for the nursery.   But if you have no spare then you're knackered!  

not even that, just to get you to a safe place and change it, certainly not to drive any distance especially with how fragile modern bmw wheels are.

They are good for 150 miles at max 50 mph when you read the small print.

Tyre will be fooked but it will get you home, via the nursery.........

On 24/08/2017 at 5:13 PM, 535i Andrew said:

I'll get flamed for saying this but, 

I did call it.:P

I had 50 miles in my head for some reason, put hellish stress on the alloys imo, I drove <4 miles on mine and wasn't happy.

I keep a space saver strapped to the floor in my F11.

It is kept in protective cover including jack etc so stays clean to man handle as and when.

On the very very very rare occasion I do need full use of all the boot or when we take the dogs out then I put the space saver behind the passenger seat where it fits perfectly.

I see no logic in not taking a spare with me on any journey.

My last 5 cars have all been sans spare and came with goo kits which are diabolical things so I just buy a space saver off eBay asap whenever I change car.

I do this primarily for peace of mind even though I have not had a need to change a wheel by the road side for years but that is 100% because I have the spare on board.

I know the moment I leave it behind I will get a blowout!

now if only I could do the same on my motorbike........

Edited by Alexak

28 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

You could get a little trailer and tow one around :unsure: 

Then how about a spare for the trailer?  And a jack for the trailer too!:D

Hi yes i carry a spare wheel kit complete with jack etc,

when i I changed from run flats I stripped out all the support materials and storage holes and things to make a space for a spare wheel which fits fine I keep my jack and even a set of snow chains all stored in there,then I fitted a piece of mdf to sit on top and have a boot liner to to keep it in place to carry the important equipment!

the golf trolly and clubs !!

I bought the kit from Alloy Wheels Direct.net. BMW Emergency Wheel kit.

aprox £312.00 back in 2014 job done!

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG