leew88

OEM DAB Retro-Fit Guide for CCC

As requested by a few members, here's my own DIY guide for retrofitting OEM DAB onto CCC ONLY..

Buy the DAB tuner, ebay is your best bet, in order to mount the unit into its OEM position on the left rear section of the boot area, you require the bracket and screws.  You can obtain the OEM parts from your BMW dealer, alternatively I recommend http://www.bmminiparts.com

1 x Dab mounting bracket = 65106925468

7 x Hex bolt = 07119902932

3 x Body nuts = 61131372033

The following items are required to make up your power harness / MOST optical connection to the DAB module

1 x Covering cap = 61136905200
2 x Bushing contact 0.75MM² = 61130006663
1 x Socket housing = 61136901844
1 x Envelope f optical fibre cable 2POL. /SCHWARZ = 61138387214

A few metre lengths of power / earth cables to extend to the fuse box on the right of the boot area.

The following 3 items are only required if you are making own fibre MOST cable

3 x Optical Waveguide pin contact = 61136905233

1 x Optical Waveguide socket contact = 61136901846

1 metre length of POF fibre cable

In order to connect the power to the DAB you need to use the OEM parts above to connect +12v into pin 1 of the “Socket Housing” plug and earth to pin 3, the plug has numbered pins so it’s obvious which to connect to.  The bushing contact comes already made with a 30cm length of wire with the pins already crimped so all you need to do is slide it into the OEM socket housing connector.  Use some extra wire to extend it to the fuse board on the right hand side of the boot.  According to WDS fuse no 75 (10amp) is the correct position to use for the DAB module, this is a ACC switched supply so only comes on with ignition.  The simplest way to connect to the fuse board is to buy a standard size fuse tap (ebay, Halfords etc) which plugs straight into the front of the fuse position negating the needs to solder or crimp onto the original wiring.  Then insert two 10amp fuses onto the fuse tap and your power is ready to go.  There is a ground point on the left side of the boot you can connect the earth wire there using a blade connector.

The biggest problem would be the fibre MOST ring connection, you have two options:

Buy the "Optical connection kit for GW500 MOST" £20 from the Dension store http://shop.dension.com/en/gw500-optical-kit  this will have all the right connectors / crimps ready made for you to tap into the loop.  I did not use this option I only read it on another DIY forum guide so cannot confirm if you require additional items, there is a possibility you will end up with duplicate parts from my original parts list above if you decide to go this route.

The second option is to make it yourself using the 3 items I list above, luckily being in the telecoms trade I have obtained my own fibre cables which I cut and terminated / crimp myself onto the OEM connectors.  Note that both fibres on the DAB end use the pin contact (male) connector.  The fibre cable must be the plastic-optical type (POF), normal telecoms glass fibre cable would not work as the centre core is too small. The fibres need to be connected to the MOST loop junction box behind the left side panel of the boot near the suspension tunnel.  There you will see a 5-pole junction box with a pair of green fibres on each end connected to ports 1 & 2 (depending on your car options it might be slightly different but the principle is the same), open the box with a small flat blade screwdriver and move one end of the existing fibre in port 2 to port 3 it doesn’t matter at this stage which end of port 2 fibre you move.  Switch on the ignition and see which end of the fibre lights up red, this will be your transmit side, the other fibre will of course be the receive so no light can be seen.  Now with the ignition on, look at the pair of fibres coming from your DAB tuner and see which one is lit up red (TX) and connect this one to the junction box corresponding to the fibre which is not lit up (RX), now your left with the remaining fibre which can only go into the other position of the junction box to complete the loop.  You will notice that on the original fibre you disconnected earlier will have one male (pin) and one female (socket) connector, so ensure you crimp the correct gender contact on your home made fibre to the correct orientation.  Lock the junction box back into position and you’re done.

The DAB module has two antenna plugs, one for Band L and one for Band III. UK uses only Band III and the Band III plug is the one on the Left (looking at the back of the module while holding the module with the optic plug on the right).  This has a standard SMB type connector, I bought a mag mounted external DAB aerial “Kinetic MagnetwiG DMA-1004” from www.dabonwheels.co.uk and stuck it in the upside down near the boot light.  I’ve experimented with a few positions and this seems to work fine with all the MUX’s for moderate to strong signal areas, the only downside to this is that it slightly impedes your boot space with a 30cm antenna pointing downwards.  Worst case you could move the antenna externally on your boot lid.  Avoid the stick-on windscreen mounted ones they are known to be inferior to everything else.  The OEM antenna setup is an expensive route as you need to replace the rear windscreen / antenna under the roof liner.

Get your car coded. If you have a working NCSExpert set-up then you can diy. Just add $654 to the VO (CAS and LMA module) and only code the modules related to the entertainment system (CAPPL, CAUDI, CGATE, CHOST, CTUNE).   You can code whole car but the problem is that any custom coding will be wiped back to standard settings.  Otherwise this may be the biggest expense if you have to do this via BMW or an indie garage.

Edited by leew88

Hi Lee

Great DIY thanks.

Quick question, the TV module in my E63 has failed and was corrupting the CCC, I'm not bothered about TV in the car so I fitted a fibre bypass loop to stop the errors.

Can I use the TV modules connections for the DAB unit? Then recode the VO for no TV and add DAB? Do you need to code CAPPL as well (remove TV and add DAB)? If so what values do you code?

Thanks

Mike

As long as the connector is the same then yes, if not you need to buy the OEM DAB connectors, pins etc as mentioned to adapt onto it. In regards to coding you need to find the VO code for E63, change VO like you mentioned and code all the modules related to the entertainment system, it doesn't matter if you end up coding a module that doesn't require it nothing will change.

Oh also do you think the tv aerials will work for the dab?

Can't speak for the E60 but they do on an E39....

I've just used my inpa/dis diagnostics tool and inspected every module to establish which was related, it's pretty self explanatory once you played around with it to see what each module does and learn from it, from memory I think there were around 4-5 modules I coded on my E60.

I'm not entirely sure if the TV aerial is compatible or not, have a look at the realoem.com website to see if it's the same part.

evening everyone ,

Right my plan is to get stuck into this after Christmas , I have started off getting a bmw dab tuner and will get the other bits and pieces lined up ready  , I have encountered an issue already , the tuner came from a damaged  car and rather than unplug the aerial connector they have just cut the wires - when I came to remove the purple connector I can see why  , I can't get this to budge . There is obviously a way to do this which I haven't found yet ! 

I don't want to force anything , so could  someone assist ,

thanks  

got it ,  just remove the purple top cover :)

Edited by saintetienne
sorted it

Also going to do this on my 2009 with CIC factory fitted, as it's the e61 I expect to find one of the rear side windows available to use instead of a 3rd party antenna. AM is in the rear spoiler so I expect FM will be one of the side windows and I have no other options fitted that would use the other windows antenna.

I've been advised this will not work with the CIC unit - There was a CIC variant with DAB build in if ordered from factory and as such, you cannot retrofit the DAB tuner from the earlier models.

2 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I've been advised this will not work with the CIC unit - There was a CIC variant with DAB build in if ordered from factory and as such, you cannot retrofit the DAB tuner from the earlier models.

I am assuming with my car being an 06 plate it is pre CIC and this retro fit will work for me? 

3 hours ago, NeveraSkate said:

The one main thing I miss in my 5 series is DAB.  A company in Surrey will retro fit it for about  £1000. 

What are the likely costs of a DIY job and is it pretty straight forward? 

£1000 !! Not completely plug-n-play, read me above DIY guide, this is for the CCC system.

DIY cost approx.

1.  OEM DAB unit £80-£100 on ebay

2.  Aftermarket aerial £20-£30

3.  OEM connectors, plugs, pins, OEM DAB bracket, power cables etc. £50 tops

Coding is free is you have your own software and cables.

4 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

Bugger.

On 24/12/2017 at 4:10 PM, leew88 said:

£1000 !! Not completely plug-n-play, read me above DIY guide, this is for the CCC system.

DIY cost approx.

1.  OEM DAB unit £80-£100 on ebay

2.  Aftermarket aerial £20-£30

3.  OEM connectors, plugs, pins, OEM DAB bracket, power cables etc. £50 tops

Coding is free is you have your own software and cables.

Thanks for that Lee. 

I do not have the facility to code myself so what is the likely costs for that? 

The install sounds straight forward enough and as I am a spark should not be beyond my capabilities ;)

10 mins for someone with an OBD cable and NCSEXPERT.

Not exactly sure what a BMW indy would charge but I would imagine no more than 1 hrs labour fixed fee.

Bare in mind  you need to to be specific in telling them that the VO needs to be changed rather than just coding.

Good evening ,   If anyone is reading then please help !

I have amended vehicle order with S654 , then coded whole car ( A bit of a pain as I had to back up all my custom coding ! )

I still have no mention of DAB anywhere in I drive menus .

I have been into ISTA to check and the vehicle id and it reflects the DAB addition , not only that but I can see and interrogate the DAB module ( functioning correctly ) , check software version etc , it even showed an error code where I didn't have my aerial plugged in , also when I request module reset the sound from my existing radio mutes for a few seconds while this occurs , so wiring and most loop is good .

This must be a software issue , I am going to trawl through some modules tomorrow to see what I can find , if anyone can assist with which specific modules hold info re DAB then please let me know .

TIA

1 hour ago, saintetienne said:

Good evening ,   If anyone is reading then please help !

I have amended vehicle order with S654 , then coded whole car ( A bit of a pain as I had to back up all my custom coding ! )

I still have no mention of DAB anywhere in I drive menus .

I have been into ISTA to check and the vehicle id and it reflects the DAB addition , not only that but I can see and interrogate the DAB module ( functioning correctly ) , check software version etc , it even showed an error code where I didn't have my aerial plugged in , also when I request module reset the sound from my existing radio mutes for a few seconds while this occurs , so wiring and most loop is good .

This must be a software issue , I am going to trawl through some modules tomorrow to see what I can find , if anyone can assist with which specific modules hold info re DAB then please let me know .

TIA

So just to be sure you did amend the VO on both CAS and LMA and check afterwards it remained before coding the car?  Also not sure if it's a typo but should be $654 not S654.

The fact you have coded the whole car means all related modules should be coded.

As a last resort you could try upgrade the firmware to the latest version using WINKFP, I actually did this recently no issues with the flash procedure and only took a few minutes, obviously only if you are very familiar with WINKFP and it's set-up correctly to avoid bricking the DAB module.

Edited by leew88

Yes I have coded both CAS and LMA with $654  ( my typo on here)   and it remained before coding car , this is also confirmed by ISTA and  INPA where DAB shows as a fully functioning unit .

Just out of interest what date of manufacture was your car and what idrive menu/software  did it have ?

I am wondering if my original software has any bearing on this ,

I am not overly familiar with WINKFP , I think I used it a while ago to fit LM2 , I will take a look see if it is something I could handle , did your DAB function ok  before software update ?

thanks

Mines a 57 reg LCI, yes my DAB had very old firmware from 2007 when I installed it which worked fine before and after update.

According to my UIF here are my zb firmware revisions:

CCC = 9193878  (date stamped Oct 2008)

MMI/CCC = 9185624 (date stamped Oct 2008)

ASK = 9185547 (date stamped  Oct 2008)

DAB = 9119359 (this was before firmware update - date stamped Feb 2007)

Once mine was coded the DAB menu was immediately seen in the entertainment section of the i-drive.

I suspect your DAB unit could be faulty.

cheers Lee ,

I  was thinking more it was the firmware of my car that may be too old  the idrive is the old orange/brown menu ,

CCC            july  2006

MMI/CCC  dec  2005

ASK            july  2006

my DAB unit is Sep 2007 ,   the unit reports back as working correctly  in all diagnostic tests , I  will investigate more tomorrow and see if I can get the unit into car another to test ,

but atm I am still thinking it is somehow relative to the software on my car  

thanks for the input  

Edited by saintetienne

Just a quick one and probably an obvious one, the DAB radio selection in normally along the top when in the entertainment segment , along the top you will have FM - AM - CD - AUX and DAB, that,s the only place you will fond the DAB selection.

1 hour ago, Misterbish said:

Just a quick one and probably an obvious one, the DAB radio selection in normally along the top when in the entertainment segment , along the top you will have FM - AM - CD - AUX and DAB, that,s the only place you will fond the DAB selection.

Thanks , yes , I wish it was !

I will report back later

Update  ,

I haven't got a clue !

Double checked VO in CAS and LM   then coded whole car again (all modules)  as per VO

which took a while with no errors

NCS Expert 4.0.1  , up to date daten files , not sure exactly what date , is there a way to check ?

fa.trc

FSW_PSW.TRC 

Please feel free to criticise , shout , abuse or anything that might give me an idea what is going on here

thanks