crazyshad1

Tyre recomendations

Hello All,

Help Please.

I am looking for 2 front tyres for my E34 525i before the snow comes down.

I have seen these FIRESTONE TZ200 96V 225/60/15 Firehawk and wondered if anyone has used them ?

Are they good tyres ?

Jim.

Edited by jimbo1105

Hello All,

Help Please.

I am looking for 2 front tyres for my E34 525i before the snow comes down.

I have seen these FIRESTONE TZ200 96V 225/60/15 Firehawk and wondered if anyone has used them ?

Are they good tyres ?

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Never had a Firestone before but based on reviews they are not best for fuel efficiency and so so for wet handling, see the link below!

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

E34? I love these! Do you have any pictures? My day still have one of these (520i 1990 M50) for last 14 years! 

Hello Vlady,

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at your link and it seems to be in German ! I cant understand it.

If you want to look at this link you will see most of my history over the last few years and some pic's.

Jim.

Hello Vlady,

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at your link and it seems to be in German ! I cant understand it.

If you want to look at this link you will see most of my history over the last few years and some pic's.

Jim.

You are right Jim, it is on German! strange! It was in English when I checked it! Anyway, just go to mytyres.co.uk they usually pretty good.

What link are you talking about Jim, I can not see it.

Regards

You are right Jim, it is on German! strange! It was in English when I checked it! Anyway, just go to mytyres.co.uk they usually pretty good.

What link are you talking about Jim, I can not see it.

Regards

Sorry Vlady,

Try this.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/73014-my-525-is-broken-your-thoughts-please/page-6#entry1121524

Jim.

Hello again,

I have done a bit more looking at budget tyres and there are 3 that seem to have quite good reviews they are,

Falken,

Barum  and

Nankang.

Any thoughts on these would be very welcome.

Thanks

Jim.

Personally I wouldn't be putting any budget tyre on my car ever, that small contact patch of tyre to road is all that keeps you moving forwards and the friction allows you to turn etc.

Out of those 3 if I had no choice the only one I would consider is the Falken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn't be putting any budget tyre on my car ever, that small contact patch of tyre to road is all that keeps you moving forwards and the friction allows you to turn etc.

Out of those 3 if I had no choice the only one I would consider is the Falken.

Couldn't agree more but it also depends on your driving style, from what I understand Jim does very little mileage so cheaper (not cheapest budget but mid range) tyres are probably better option.

I had Falken 16's" on my previous e39, they were soft and quite, I did enjoy them and never had a problem, however, checking them now they don't look that fuel efficient at all but that brings us back to point number one - low mileage!

Never used Barum on Nankang though.

Regards

Nankang are ok, used them on my golfs and did the job for everyday casual driving.  Never heard of Barum before and out of the 3 I would also opt for Falkens

Nankang are ok, used them on my golfs and did the job for everyday casual driving. Never heard of Barum before and out of the 3 I would also opt for Falkens

I used Nankangs on a car once, never ever ever again! They were truly horrible! And as such I would never use them again! These were a brand new set of 4 that came with a set of wheels that I bought and I actually swapped them for another brand after only 150 dry miles and the car losing normal contact with the road a few times.

As for budget tyres this is the other reason I don't like them, this was from the MGF I had last summer, and the seller had put this brand new tyre on it to get through an MOT, and after 500 miles I was going down a National speed limit road and this happened, probably due to lower quality QA / manufacturing techniques f39ce058f974705014d0f5e2bad0ac8b.jpg

Bloody hell! That’s very poor and dangerous too! What brand was this?

Yes I did find the Nankang on the golfs quite rubbish but I always blamed it on the car as the ride quality on mk4 was rubbish, especially with 18’s.

Midrange brands Vreds and kumho’s are pretty well renowned. I opted for Altenzo’s and am very surprised at the quality for its price. Reviews and TyreTraders themselves highly recommend hence the purchase.

Hello again,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

I don't do a lot of miles or many long trips but I may do 2 or 3 longer trips each year using motorways (70 mph) 

I think I will get Barums ! They seem to have a good wet grip.

Now to find the best value place to buy them, any advice will be very welcome.

My 2 front tyres are the ones that I want to replace, they are still legal but near the limit.

Is it better to put the new tyres on the front or the rear now that winter (Snow) is here ?

if I put them on the rear is it OK to put my rear wheels on the front ?

Jim.

Hello again,

Thanks for all your thoughts on this.

I don't do a lot of miles or many long trips but I may do 2 or 3 longer trips each year using motorways (70 mph) 

I think I will get Barums ! They seem to have a good wet grip.

Now to find the best value place to buy them, any advice will be very welcome.

My 2 front tyres are the ones that I want to replace, they are still legal but near the limit.

Is it better to put the new tyres on the front or the rear now that winter (Snow) is here ?

if I put them on the rear is it OK to put my rear wheels on the front ?

Jim.

Jim on rear wheel car that exactly what I would do (I hope that is the right way of doing though :)), I would put new tyres at the back and used tyres at front, unless your rear once are almost new than it does not matter. Just get them balanced and you should be fine!

Regards 

Jim on rear wheel car that exactly what I would do (I hope that is the right way of doing though :)), I would put new tyres at the back and used tyres at front, unless your rear once are almost new than it does not matter. Just get them balanced and you should be fine!

Regards 

Unless you have a staggered set then you're buggered, new tyres it is :P

Regards 

The rears are not bad.

Idiot has recommended that I put them on the front to keep control of steering  in the snow.  

Jim.

Not sure if they stock the particular tyre your after but www.tyreleader.co.uk are a good price. Its usually between those and www.blackcircles.com

The rears are not bad.

Idiot has recommended that I put them on the front to keep control of steering  in the snow.  

Jim.

You don't need steering if you can't move away on a 1st place. :)

My thoughts are, if you put used rear once on front all 4 tyres will serve longer (say 3years or 15-20k miles, roughly) and by that time you will need 4 new tyres but if you put new once on front you will need to change rear once much sooner then above, you decide mate. 

The reason its recommended to have the best tread at the rear isnt to do with snow or pulling away or spreading out the cost of replacement, its to do with water.

With the new tyres on the front they will easily disperse water if you hit deep water at speed, whereas your part worn rears will go surfing. Unless you happened to be travelling dead straight the rear end will spin out and you are in a whole world of trouble. Much more than if your front end went on the surfing trip as you hit the water, and your rear end kept traction.

Thats the theory dont shoot the messenger ;-)

Edited by gazzdid

That's what I'd heard too. In the event of loss of grip going round a damp corner the average driver has a better chance of controlling a bit of understeer rather than oversteer, where the back can go very quickly. Although, to be fair, understeer on a left hand bend with 40 tonner coming the other way isn't going to do you much good either!

No neither scenario is ideal. But given the choice between

A. loss of steering or

B.loss of steering AND spinning down the road like a waltzer

I think I'd go with option A :)

Edited by gazzdid

Gotta say I always had traditional wisdom as new on the front worn on the rear.

If you need full tread on the rear to stay in control your driving too hard all the time.

Unless you hoof it like a ladies front bottom all the time I generally find bmws edge to understeer by default.

Fronts do most of the braking and all of the steering. I know where I want the grip.

Yeah i see what your saying duncan, but see the post above. The reason the powers that be recommend it the other way round is explained.

Its all about water, nothing to do with how hard you accelerate, decelerate or corner.

Dont forget the only reason we have 'tread' is to disperse water.

In the dry you have more traction/grip on a slick/bald tyre!

Edited by gazzdid

If the rear end aquaplanes whilst cornering i'd say in the second it takes for you to notice and ease off the throttle your arse end is probably already overtaking you. I suppose its each to their own opinion but the recommendation is to put the new tread on the rear, i was just explaining why that is what they recommend.

As i said originally, dont shoot the messenger :)

Personally i think it makes sense and i put new tread on the rear. Like you, i also like plenty of grip on the front too for the reasons you pointed out, and so change them before they get too low. I think decent tread on all 4 is a no-brainer