Frank.Ind

The official BMW 5, E34 540i Touring thread.

Following on from the "what have you done to your E34 today" thread, I thought it would be a good idea to list all 5540i/Ts left. It doesn't have to be your car either. If you spot one and get a picture that would be great to!

I will update numbers as I go.

Chassis codes/registration and transmission would be helpful also. I.e:

6 speed:

Bh15021 -Kaschmirbeige/Cloth flock Velours-anthracite

bh15017 -Calypso/Leather-Black

N190KGH -Calypso/Leather-Bison (export marker)

M666DPR -Schwarz/ Leather-Grey

bh15041 -Avus blue/Leather-Bison

Automatic:

m950rrw -Schwarz?/?

GB64108 -Calypso/Leather-Bison.

N409OUL -Fjord grey/Leather-Black

R91GGP - Schwarz II/Leather-Black

Converted to manual:

M540gjf - Calypso/?

My thinking is that they are rare and need to be documented while we still can!

Edited by Frank.Ind

Mine is bh15017, Cali over black 6 speed. Rego m540gjf is still alive and currently for sale. Bh15021 also comes back as taxed, mot and insured. Richard has a few too...

There's some serious drinking been done when they came up with that price.

It sold for £3k with the supercharger on it a year ago.No mot, auto to manual conversion, about 6 owners who have kicked the crap out of it since I built it up. Supercharger gone. That's not a car I'd want back, it's only done about 4k miles since I sold it but I bet none of them have been easy miles.

When I had it, it had M5 LSD, throwing stars, AP brakes, new clutch and solid flywheel and a decent exhaust. As far as I know it's only got the exhaust still on it.

Avoid.

I see this is back, and fancifully priced.....

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C564831

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/104914-anybody-clocked-this/

And I'm sure it will be around for a long time yet unless the owner has a reality check... :lol:

C.

Spend all day Sunday going to see a 540i touring. Was a write off. Had some sort of bodged repair damage on the off side. O/s rear quarter had body filler cracking and boot shut didn't line up, o/s front and rear doors super bad bodge paint work and filler as well as front wing.

After several discussions with Geoff, (thanks again mate) we came to the conclusion that it was best to walk away from it as it could well have chassis damage judging from what was seen.

Nearly 7 hours on a train, on top of that lugging around 35lbs BMW battery (from my 520i tourer) on the London underground (car didn't even have a battery) and nearly 60 quid down on yet another wasted journey to see a knackered E34 tourer. Not impressed.

I count this one a the 6th (yes sixth) E34 tourer that I have been to see in the last couple of years and walked away from.

Can someone on the forum please, please sell me their E34 540i Touring to put me out my misery. I promise I will look after it and give it the care and attention it deserves..... :mrgreen:

Robzilla has the best condition 540 touring that I've seen. Assuming there was no hidden rust under those sills, the rest of the car was really nice.

I have bh15041, Avus blue 6-speed. 197k on the clocks, more rust than you can shake a stick at and it's been quite heavily sideswiped at some point in its early life! It's not a lost cause and work is underway to get it back on the road.

Spend all day Sunday going to see a 540i touring. Was a write off. Had some sort of bodged repair damage on the off side. O/s rear quarter had body filler cracking and boot shut didn't line up, o/s front and rear doors super bad bodge paint work and filler as well as front wing.

After several discussions with Geoff, (thanks again mate) we came to the conclusion that it was best to walk away from it as it could well have chassis damage judging from what was seen.

Nearly 7 hours on a train, on top of that lugging around 35lbs BMW battery (from my 520i tourer) on the London underground (car didn't even have a battery) and nearly 60 quid down on yet another wasted journey to see a knackered E34 tourer. Not impressed.

I count this one a the 6th (yes sixth) E34 tourer that I have been to see in the last couple of years and walked away from.

Can someone on the forum please, please sell me their E34 540i Touring to put me out my misery. I promise I will look after it and give it the care and attention it deserves..... :mrgreen:

Is this car advertised for sale??? If so, it may be a good idea to post details which will help forum members avoid the car if they are looking. ;)

C.

The first built 540 touring was an 09 Arktissilber metallic  built Dec-1993. GB64000 is the VIN. right hand drive.

Edited by Carl-e34

Early morning musings and searches lead me to think there are just four E34 540i/6 Tourings on the road with a further 12 on SORN, and 21 E34 540iA Tourings on the road and 22 on SORN. IIRC there were 64 manual rhd cars to start with and just 250 automatics.

Perhaps I shouldn't have scrapped the one I bought but it was a total rust bucket.  I know the only techno violet 540i 6sp touing was exported to Poland, exports obviously don't appear in the figures.