frankc

DVLA FORMS doing my ed in :)

(Before anyone flames me for owning a Jag please look at my previous posts on here :)   I have also put exactly the same message as below on the Jag site.  But you guys have always been most helpful and I bet I get an answer from here before the Jag forum.  )

Ok. I have a number plate from my former car. It is on retention. So I have been through this before but I was keeping my own reg from my own car. This is slightly more confusing.

On the Jag I have recently bought there is a 'cherished plate'. Its an XJR plate, but as I have an XKR it does not make much sense to keep it. On the DVLA site they are selling for around £799 and above. Already been offered £500 by one of the selling sites so I thought Id sell it myself. 

So I thought Id get the paperwork clear in my head before I started selling anything. Been onto the DVLA website. I must be thick or something, or just tired, and I keep going around in circles. 

This is the form https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...317_150814.pdf 

After reading the bumpf I have to fill in sections 2 & 4. Section 2 that is obviously me and the details of my car. 

Section 4. 

I tick box one and retain for 1 year at a cost of £105.

next box asks if I want to become a "grantee" if I have sold the plate I want the person who bought it to become the "grantee" so I tick the "no" box?

I then put the person who buys the reg into the "Grantees" details?

Now its the next box that has me confused. Do I leave that blank? Because the person who is buying it may not want to put it onto a car straight away but just want the right to use it eventually, i.e retain it? Or am I reading it wrong? I don't want to delay things by leaving that box blank if I should be filling it in.

I then get a check for £105 and post it with the V5 from my car or can I hand both forms, V5 and the 317, over at the Post Office counter? Because I vaguely recall doing all this over the Post Office counter, could be wrong though.

I am sure someone has done this a dozen times and can point me in the right direction. 

Thanks!!

They're a clear as mud aren't they...

I used to do this crap at the local DVLA offices, but Hey...!  They closed all those...

You can't do it at post offices, unless they've changed the rules?  (Can you imagine the poor sod behind the PO counter knowing what to do with these damn forms?).

Basically, as long as your name and address is on the form in the Grantee boxes and nothing is in the Nominee boxes, you should be fine. 

You can add a Nominee when you sell the plate.  

lol.  Now that's the problem "You can add a Nominee when you sell the plate.  "    So the Nominee is the person I am selling to?

To quote "If you are retaining the vehicle registration number and are becoming the Grantee"  you see I am retaining the registration number, but not for me.   So its yes to "retaining the registration number" and no to "becoming the Grantee"

Then of course the next bit "you may want to assign it (put it on) to a vehicle registered in someone else’s name. This person is known as the Nominee. Give the Nominee’s details below ".    So I am making the person I am selling to the "Grantee" now they are calling them the "Nominee"

aghhh 

Sorted.  I rang and spoke to some poor guy in DVLA.   He went through the list that comes up on the computer that gives all the set answers.  "does that answer your question sir?"  --- "No"  stunned silence.   Can I ask what your trying to do then?  So I went through everything with him, again.  Yes I was doing it alright until we got to section 4 "nominee"  Ohhh you should leave that section blank sir.  But ensure they fill in the "Nominee details"   err hang on.  You say to me leave that blank in one breath then tell me to make sure I fill it in in the  next breath.  Which is it?  Silence.  Then "would you mind holding sir".   Music.  Was beginning to feel sorry for him.   " Right sir, fill in the Grantee bit", yep got that "but leave the Nominee bit blank" Ok got that.  "but ensure they fill in the signature and date it on the Nominee bit"  so I reply "ok your saying leave the nominee bit blank, but sign and date it?"  "yes sir"   At this point I take an even closer look at the "Nominee's" box and notice it says "Grantee's signature" in small print.   Can anyone see the sense in that?   Why wasn't the "Grantee's signature" at the bottom of the Grantee's box?  I know what I have to do now.  I wont confuse you by saying more..........  :)

You may think the above is convoluted but remember that is the simplified version.   Now I can sell my number plate.   Hope its worth it. 

With any luck Frank the sale should raise enough money to cover the counciling you're going to need.

This confirms my suspicion that owning a private plate is a total pita. Get it sold and enjoy the stress free anonymous plate DVLA issue you.