KamilFKH

EXTRAS/DRLs setting extention by US DRL option?

:arrow: I would like to ask for an Intravee II Extras menu mod I wish to have. Is is possible to Expand Intravee II Extras/Control/Light control/DRLs menu options by posibility to turn ON and OFF the US DRL?

I can support this option with all info needed for switching ON and OFF of already activated US DRL (dimmed high beams) for all light control modules for 7 E38, 5 E39, 3 E46, X5 E53, pre-facelifted X3 E83, Z4 E85 and E86. The US DRL activation itself is mostly quite complex action where recoding of the whole light control module is needed very often and I think it is not what the extras menu is intended for and I would not waste the IV2 memory space with the data for it. Simple US DRL ON/OFF indication and switch is good enough. US DRL switch is always one bit in size and value 1 always means it is ON. I can supply a list of address for US DRL switch for all LCM, LSZ and LSZ2 light control modules except LCM CI:14 (early E38) and LSZ CI:26 (first E46, no Xenon support as well) that do not support US DRL at all. The list would be light module Coding Index, coding data block, coding block byte and set value. I can update this post with the list later, if this idea is not dismissed, to keep all info on top.

As per your Fog Light thread, the Intravee does not code the LCM, it just sends messages to activate the various lights.

There are two relevant points in the above statement :

1) The Intravee can only activate lights, not deactivate those that are already on.

2) The control message just turns on the various lights, it can not control the brightness of the headlight. There may be another message that can control headlight dimming, but if there is I don't know what it is.

There are plenty of potential problems in getting the Intravee to code the LCM, I don't really want to get into that!

I get it and I understand it.

I code the cars for about 7 years only and from my experience it appeared to me to be a good idea to use IV to display status on monitor/radio and switch the US DRL ON/OFF like the newer bodies can do using iDrive. Read coding block, set or reset one bit and write it back. Nevermind. Maybe it will force me to try to finally design a button hardware that is able to perform this function with LED indicator (e.g. spare button for spacial sound with green LED from E46 switching console to look original and not bastled).

Anytime, thanks for Your time. :cool:

Bit of a bump. I know that for the steering wheel button lights, the LCM send an ibus message telling the lights the state of the light switch and dimmer. 

I could imagine the % of a light being on (US DRL) could work in the same way. 

But maybe it works completely different.

As far as I know there is no iBus message to control the intensity of DRLs, I believe it is simply coded into the LCM.   If there is such a message, I've never seen it and I have looked at logs from US cars.

Sounds right. Then it’s only the dimmer’s intensity that sends specific messages.

Although typing this, I may be mixing stuff up and the custom module I have has it’s own translation table that convers each % of dimming, into a custom ibus message the MFL lights understand.

(this is in my E36 which has no LCM, so when fitting an MFL, the lights are always on, or the buttons only work when the lights are on, which is no option).

It is exactly as RichardP wrote, there is no iBus message to control the intensity of DRLs.

The PWM value for any bulb (percentage of illumination) is usually one byte parameter in the LCM coding data for any light or pair of light (one byte for both left and right bulb). The LCM firmware in the main loop reads these parameters from coding data area and controls every output according the value set. To not spam I-Bus o K-Bus traffic, there is no info about any bulb dimmed sent by LCM.

Despite not noted at the first look, LCM dimms every bulb output and it does it mainly to prolong the bulbs life. 12V bulbs are designed to work at a power level achieved at 12V, but the car alternator works at 14V so the bulb power output is then higher. By dimming every 21W bulb to about 90% by PWM, the bulb works on 21W not on the 24 or 25W that the bulb would work on with 14V voltage. ;)

Just note for the PWM. You must be careful, how to interpret the values of the PWM byte as there is not a linear connection between a byte value and PWM percentage. Often it is just a reference to some internal tables in LCM firmware. E.g. for a E46 LSZ (LCM in E46),  there is one linear part in whole 256 values byte range, that starts at #40 for 0% PWM (no voltage - switched off) and ends at #72 for 100% PWM (fully ON, used for powering xenon modules with uninterrupted voltage) where the PWM is increased by 2% with every following number.

Just wondering, you can set about every possible light as exit/entry light, but on DRL menu, only 3 options. Is this a memory thing?

Front indies as DRL’s or US positioning lights would be nice.

Or side indies as entry/exit lights.