alpinewhite525

People who refuse to learn car basics.

The pet hates thread got me thinking.

I have a few mates who use their cars as a tool, as most people do. The only thing is, they know absolutely nothing about the contraption they are piloting and have not the slightest inclination to try and understand the basics which would make their life easier.

Some examples:

One friend went to check his oil as he'd heard he needed to do this for some reason. He told me he'd taken the oil filler cap off and looked in. 'All seemed ok' so he replaced the cap. Job done.

This same bloke didn't know what the rev counter did. He just said it 'goes up and down but wasn't sure what it meant.'

Another went to fill up the oil on his car via the dipstick.

And lastly, I have another mate who would rather call the AA out (waiting hours if need be) rather than change a wheel because he 'wasn't sure he could do it correctly.'

I just feel there should be some course or section of the driving test that makes sure you know at least a little bit about your car. How it works, roughly. No?

Edited by alpinewhite525

Re changing the wheel, my 530i was insured through a company who will remain nameless.  On renewal a couple of years ago, I asked if I could fit 16" wheels (change from original spec so needed to notify them), they said yes provided they were changed professionally, i.e. put on by an insured mechanic. I pointed out that if I had a puncture, I would be changing the wheel and while not a professional, yes, I did know what I was doing and would be using a torque wrench. 

No, came the response, you can't do it, it has to be professionally done.  So I changed insurance company rather than pay to have the wheels changed over.  I also saved money on the insurance and the new company were happy for me to change them over.

Edited by Dongiov

This should have been in the Fun Stuff/Joke section... Fill up oil via dipstick... :lol:

It's been over 20 years since I did my test but I'm sure things have moved on and routine maintenance is part of the requirement?

C.

And lastly, I have another mate who would rather call the AA out (waiting hours if need be) rather than change a wheel because he 'wasn't sure he could do it correctly.'

In all honesty he sounds like quite a sensible fella. Looking at the amount of damage done to most sills on e39 a lot of people shouldn't be changing wheels, plus there is the danger factor to consider.

thats terrible from a guy ;)

my missus had to be educated as to why she put fuel in it..... she didn't know why she had to just that when the needle told her she had to visit the petrol station.

and another girl i knew thought that when you pressed the brakes a stick came out and poked into the spokes of the wheel!!

haha

JJ

^ ^ Good Girl!!   At least she's prepared to get her hands (well, gloves) dirty!

A friend of mine destroyed her Jeep Cherokee because, despite me going on about it, she never checked the oil...

She though it got done at the MoT!!   Turned out the thing hadn't actually been serviced for years, it's a wonder it ran at all!

So, embarrassed by that experience, she panicked when her Peugeot showed nine bars on the ten bar oil level indicator.

"I can do this, I am WOMAN & I am smart..!"

So, she filled it with oil.  As in, to the top of the valve cover.   Fortunately, it wouldn't start..  So she then called me & the AA followed soon after.

At least she tried!!

But I've kinda given up.  I try to explain the basic, common-sense stuff, but I can feel the pain as the life dies-out & the eyes start to glaze-over...

Also, the power steering felt funny on a Subaru.  Turned out the offside front tyre was down to just over 10 PSI, after a trip to Chester...

Still not as bad as a mate who got sick of topping up the water in his (leaking..) rad, so he just stopped.   So did the car, permanently, soon afterwards...

And another mate was pleased when the back brakes stopped squealing so badly. 

Because the backing plate of the completely worn-out pad wore through & the piston didn't make quite as much noise as it wore itself & the wreaked disc.  

Eventually the piston popped-out & he was moaning how much a new pair of calipers, discs & pads cost.......

We are not allowed to change a flat tyre on our work vans, we have to call the AA out.. I guess we can't be trusted to do the wheels up properly, no i don't carry a torque wrench but years of experience tell me how tight to do them... I've never had a nut/bolt come off yet.

But given the choice of changing the tyre or putting the kettle on and having a cuppa while i wait for the AA I'll pick option 2

I don't mind people who know that they know nothing about cars and so rely on professionals to do jobs for them, it's the people who neither know nor care that worry me.

The driving test includes "show me, tell me" type questions now to cover some of the basics, but there's a huge swathe of people out there who wouldn't know how to top up a tyre, or to what pressure, or how often to do it, etc etc etc.

It wasn't the fact that he didn't attempt to change the wheel, I'd much rather he got as assistance as he wasn't sure.

It's the fact that he's an intelligent and physically capable chap and it would save himself and a lot of others agro if he set his mind to learning how to do it. The trouble is, he stresses out and calls everybody as he starts worrying.

My missus took over my Shogun Sport when I got a company car about 6 years ago. I'd had it converted to LPG and had the filler fitted next to the normal fuel filler cap. She loves it and calls it her Tonka Toy because she feels safe and it's got far better visibility than her old Fiesta.

However, in 6 years of her ownership she hasn't filled up with LPG once because she says she doesn't know how to, and this despite standing next to me and watching me do it time and again.

I got to the bottom of the problem a couple of months back when she jumped as I disconnected the gas filler and it gave off a mighty 'hiss'. She finally admitted she's scared stiff of connecting and disconnecting the gas because of the noise, and that's why she feigns ignorance and gets me to fill it!

A very short conversation with a family member some years ago:

Them: Can you have a quick look at my brakes please?

Me: (On noticing the addition of a broad orange stripe down each side of the car) WTF?!!! 

A very short conversation with a family member some years ago:

Them: Can you have a quick look at my brakes please?

Me: (On noticing the addition of a broad orange stripe down each side of the car) WTF?!!!

A broad orange stripe?

I must admit I've jumped a bit when someone has uncoupled the filler next to me at a petrol station!

Is there any way you can get her used to the noise?

If she's not 'car-trained' after 6 years it's easier to put up with a trip to the garage every couple of weeks! :lol:

Edited by pauliexjr

Some years ago, I was called by a neighbour as his car would not start. When I went to the car and noticed a hosepipe by the car and the bonnet up. After a couple of questions he said he had filled water was low. He then admitted he had put the water in via the oil filler cap.

Bill

A woman at work told me there was a horrible grinding noise coming from her car when she pressed the brakes and asked me what i thought was wrong. When I told her that it would be the brakes she was visibly shocked! Then she asked me if it was ok to carry on driving it.

Some people's lack of common sense astonishes me.

A woman at work told me there was a horrible grinding noise coming from her car when she pressed the brakes and asked me what i thought was wrong. When I told her that it would be the brakes she was visibly shocked! Then she asked me if it was ok to carry on driving it.

Some people's lack of common sense astonishes me.

Personally I would have said 'Yes' and hoped that there would soon be another Darwin Award winner!

Having said that she'd probably take out half-a-dozen innocent bystanders and walk away unscathed herself  :???:

Re changing the wheel, my 530i was insured through a company who will remain nameless.  On renewal a couple of years ago, I asked if I could fit 16" wheels (change from original spec so needed to notify them), they said yes provided they were changed professionally, i.e. put on by an insured mechanic. I pointed out that if I had a puncture, I would be changing the wheel and while not a professional, yes, I did know what I was doing and would be using a torque wrench. 

No, came the response, you can't do it, it has to be professionally done.  So I changed insurance company rather than pay to have the wheels changed over.  I also saved money on the insurance and the new company were happy for me to change them over.

Ironic really. Last time I had a new tyre fitted, the muppet did the wheel bolts up without a torque wrench. I asked him to use a torque wrench, so he did. He continued driving the torque wrench long after it had broken at indicated torque... :roll: