alpinewhite525

People who refuse to learn car basics.

Taking things to bits to see how they work has been second nature to me since my first Dinky toys. Enjoying football, golf, tennis and fishing isn't. You just have accept that the world is full of strange people who have a different take on life.

^ Classic! :)  (710 cap).

I think I've remembered how this starts...

Years ago, at school, aged about 12~13?  we were given the task of drawing a cut-away to show how something worked, with labels etc...

A mate did a cut-away of a car.   It showed an engine, with a pipe running to the rear for the exhaust.  

My mate genuinely thought that cars were pushed along by the exhaust gasses....

But we were kids.  There are probably a few adults, with licences, who believe something similar....

Scary.  These people have jobs & walk amongst us...

Edited by Trisman

^ Classic! :)  (710 cap).

I think I've remembered how this starts...

Years ago, at school, aged about 12~13?  we were given the task of drawing a cut-away to show how something worked, with labels etc...

A mate did a cut-away of a car.   It showed an engine, with a pipe running to the rear for the exhaust.  

My mate genuinely thought that cars were pushed along by the exhaust gasses....

But we were kids.  There are probably a few adults, with licences, who believe something similar....

Scary.  These people have jobs & walk amongst us...

That would explain a 1.1 Citroen Saxo with a 6" tailpipe i see going around

but this is across many topics too.

I can't stand that the missus doesn't know if the sun goes round the earth or if the moon goes round the sun etc etc or how far far the sun is etc etc.

and i had a convo with my sis last week. she went to see bloodhound (world speed record) and this is how the discussion went

Sis - I never heard of it but apparently it goes the speed of light or something

Me - speed of light isn't possible, do you think you can see how fast light goes?

Sis - Yeah of course you can like when you switch a light on.

Me - are your lights not instant? How long does it take for your light to reach the walls from your lounge light?

Sis - about 1 second - its v quick!

Me - light travels 186282 miles per second...you have a REALLY big lounge

Sis - surely its relative though and my lounge isn't that big so it would be less.

Me - ???? what ???? The speed of light is constant.

Sis - depends on the light bulb though. Ours are energy saving.

Me - you are a muppet!

haha!!

JJ

Edited by problemchild

Personally I would have said 'Yes' and hoped that there would soon be another Darwin Award winner!

Having said that she'd probably take out half-a-dozen innocent bystanders and walk away unscathed herself :???:

The scary thing is that this woman is a doctor in charge of the intensive care unit!

Edited by kobayashi

my misses can dip the oil, check tyre pressures, knows that coolent is checked cold but..................

she thinks the E on the fuel gauge stands for Enough!

The amount of people I've seen checking the oil and holding the dipstick at an angle so the oil runs down it. After looking for 5 seconds it goes from full to empty and of course they top it up...

My mrs is awesome at this kind of thing, she swapped the interior in my impreza for me, helped swap coilovers etc etc

She used to love driving my 200sx and Evo, proper petrol head given half a chance!

She is also, very much a girly girl!

Rusted debris from the metal to metal contact of the front discs and pad backing plates.

Ah! On the disc! I read it as a broad orange stripe down each side of the car! As in, the sides.

Back in olden times when I first started driving people did not know much about cars. I knew a chap who would never add oil above the level of the minimum on the dipstick because he was convinced that the top mark was part of a plot by the oil companies to sell more oil. I also had a mate who when driving his dad's car used to get berated for applying the handbrake without keeping the release button pressed in because he was "wearing the rachet". People also used to switch off the engine at times when going downhill to save fuel. As a kid I remember being very impressed by the sight of someone who did this without putting the car in neutral. The explosion as he turned on the ignition again at the bottom of the hill was unforgetable.

Ah! On the disc! I read it as a broad orange stripe down each side of the car! As in, the sides.

That's how it's supposed to read you nerd, the shrapnel is flying off the discs down the sides of the car :lol:

I am a great advocate of pressing the button to avoid wearing the ratchet. If you have ever owned a car where the wear is such that it won't stay on, so would you be.  As to the blowing up the exhaust, I did this once. The car had seperate ignition switch and starter button and I forgot to switch on when trying to start in a petrol station after filling up. It blew the whole system across the forecourt and the attendant was all ready to call the fire brigade and the bomb squad. My level of embarassment has never been surpassed.

My favourite - and true - story is about a former neighbour who had a taxi. A fully licenced Hackney Carriage. He decided he needed new brakes which were drums all round on this car. He couldn't get the adjusters to back off so filed down the new shoes to fit. He didn't want to file too much off or he would be back where he started. So he hammered the drums over the shoes and took it for a drive. Well, he tried to. He burned out the clutch and had to pay somebody to replace it. He then turned his attention back to the brakes. At that time, friction material wasn't bonded to the shoe, it was riveted. But he didn't have enough cash left to buy them. So he cut up some bits of carpet and borrowed a rivet gun....