Arctic_Monkey

Top Gear Transmission - Glasgow - Anyone used them?

Contacted them today about looking at my E39 M5 diff.  They have advised it's no problem to do the seals in it and have provisionally quoted:

If leaking from pinion £270+ VAT including replacing the bearings (as long as not later style diff with radial ball bearings - assuming as mine is pre-facelift it's not got the later style diff?), and £120+VAT + cost of the seals to do the side seals.

That's approx £500-£550 all in I reckon - does this seem reasonable? 

I paid £300 inc. VAT to have all 3 seals replaced on my 540i Diff and have its inspected and sealed with the liquid gasket. So for an M5 Diff, plus the work you need doing, I'd say its sounds quite reasonable.

Mind you though, I used a company called Hardy's Engineering, which is quite far from where your location is.

Edited by amand

It's better than getting the job done twice because of shoddy workmanship or job not done right or whatever etc etc

Have you see Mackies workshop?

These guys have got contracts with major manufacturers for repairing Gearboxes etc.

I paid double what it would have cost me to get the diff fitted elsewhere but I'd rather get the job done right and from people in the know.

Otherwise it's your choice at the end of the day and also not saying Top Gear are shoddy just never heard of them!!!

I didn't think their prices were any more than other similar places.

I had mine serviced by Butlers in Fife in a crappy shed and they fucked it up. Mackies were the only people who managed to diagnose and fix within the day, John was very helpful. Should've just gone straight to them n saved the hassles and money.

Well, got my can back from Mackies last night.  Service was very good throughout, John seems a very knowledgeable guy, and the set-up at their garage really does look imrpessive.  All in it cost me £630 including VAT for the diff to come out, be inspected, have all seals replaced, and set back up.  They seem like a quality outfit so I can't see me needing to get the seals replaced any time soon!