duncan-uk

New road tax rules

Methinks it was........

Apparently a new buyer cannot drive it on the existing tax disc, so you cant go and see a car and buy on the same day unless you can get your insurer to email you an insurance cert, before the post office closes (if it does road tax) and that you can print out as they wont accept a digital copy.

So more tax for government and also more cost in buying a car if its not a quick jaunt away as you'll now need to go back another day when tax sorted..................small risk but you wouldn't be insured if you had a mishap.

I'm assuming as this system is a mess and half the population still don't know what to do now, it might get changed, at least to say 'you get 5 working days to retax the vehicle after purchase'.............

Is no tax definitely detrimental to insurance ...I thought as it was a tax ( and not an endorsable motoring offence ) then it doesn't count to wards insurance. I know that no MOT will do this .

Reason I say this was a friend of mine had a bump and wrote off another car, insurance still paid out even tho tax was missing ( the tax was a genuine mistake ) ..he was reported to DVLA and they did fine him and back date but point is it didnt affect insurance

I bought a car saturday with no issues, no post office, all done online.

Question:

Are you certain you haven't just retaxed the car for the guy you bought the car from?  (ie: The current registered keeper?).

Reason I ask is that the system seems to be geared-up for retaxing a car in the name of the Registered keeper, with no on-line option to change the name of the keeper?

It seems as if the car needs to be registered in the new keeper's name before it can be retaxed....

EDIT:  

Scrap that.   :oops:    

It looks like you can tax it as a new keeper & (virtually?) register the car in your own name on-line. 

(There is the option to use the V5c/2 new keeper supplement to tax the car).

How long before the V5c is all on-line too...?!

Edited by Trisman

Yup used new keeper bit, car already had mot, I bought temp insurance, there's an option online for if ya a new owner or not

Dragging this back up as i've got some questions on this. 

If I was to buy a cheap car I wanted to sell on, I'd use the yellow "trade slip". With the new tax rules how does this work?

Do I have to tax the car as a new owner, thus adding to the vehicles "owners" or go down the route of "trade" plates?

I only sell about 2-3 a year so I don't think the trade plates would make the money back....then again they are useful.  The cars are only £1000 or less so I don't want to fork out mega bucks?

Ideas?

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by Jamworth

The yellow slip being sent back (to notify the DVLA that the car's been passed to a trader) has the same effect regards tax as the main part of the V5c being returned to Swansea.

In other words, the old keeper gets a refund of the tax.  If the dealer wants to use the vehicle on the road, they either have to use trade-plates or tax it in their name.  If they do the latter, another keeper is recorded.

Also, if  the dealer does tax it, (& hence register it in their name) when it gets sold, the new keeper still has to tax it & the dealer gets a refund.

There's a long thread about this issue on the DVLA's consultation/Q&A web page.  Dealers were not happy....

Unfortunately, there's no way around it, except for the old keeper to give the entire V5c (with all the supplement, inc. the yellow slip) to the dealer.

Edited by Trisman

Q. What happens if I am paying by direct debit and want to change my account details?

A. You cannot do this online or even over the phone. You need to cancel the direct debit with your bank then go along to the Post Office and set up a new one.

Progress?

Edited by whiskychaser

I guess they send a cheque to make sure the registered keeper gets the money this is the easiest way. All they do is look at the V5 the address and owners name is there.

To send the money to a bank account would require proof of ownership etc.. the person who pays via direct debit doesn't necessarily owns the vehicle.

When I part ex'd my e39 I got given the yellow part of my log book, and due to work and other commitments I never got to post it off, but I still got my new logbook for new car and a refund for my tax on the e39, I also had the dealer tax it for me when I turned up and have had no issues regarding that :)

When I part ex'd my e39 I got given the yellow part of my log book, and due to work and other commitments I never got to post it off, but I still got my new logbook for new car and a refund for my tax on the e39, I also had the dealer tax it for me when I turned up and have had no issues regarding that .

That will be because the dealer will have notified the DVLA that you had part-ex'd the E39 and sent off the V5 for your new car so it got registered in your name.