mallock24

Avon tuning Bristol

Just wanted to speak of avon tuning near Bristol , I was mainly shopping around for my swirl flaps to be removed on my 2005 e61 530d but with poorish MPG (both stats been done) and generally a sluggish feeling I thought I would get a quote for the DPF to be gutted as well. Read some good things of them and after a conversation with Gareth the date was set.

-swirl flaps removed

-DPF Gutted

-EGR bypass

-Remap

£520 all in (Considering my local Indy quoted £260 just for the swirl flaps I think this is a bargain price!! )

Arrived on the day, greeted with a coffee and parked up in the waiting area for the long stay with books and ipad (wifi code supplied), popped my head out a couple of times to see what was going on but respected the chap had a job to do and didn't pester , walked down to local pub for lunch and it was ready on my return.

I'm not a mechanic so bear with my descriptions !!

This was actually a couple of weeks ago as I wanted to see how it panned out before reviewing, the car is a different beast altogether now , i have never really been that pleased with my cars performance from the start I thought it was sluggish , tough to get going up and over 2k , MPG was 28/29 round town and averages 32mpg on a run with best ever been 37mpg which was all motorway to Belgium and back. I could not with trying spin up the wheels just felt in general it was a lovely car but not actually that impressive for the poor MPG in return , Now to start with my engine is safe from the dreaded flaps , she pulls now so cleanly even from cold just a strong torque pull right through the rev range without any flat spots and hard to describe don't feel like it's dragging when moving off or between lights esp when cold. If you boot it she is a rocket ship now compared to before could be a different engine! More importantly for me is the increase in mpg . Playing on the way home motorways/duel and A roads was 43mpg and commuting to work is now 36/37mpg which is a massive improvement !

All in all I think avon tuning deserves some positive feedback from me for service, price and standard of work, friendly guys with the right attitude!

Cheers

Dave

Nice to know that people out there know their stuff and will help without making the customer spend loads...

I like my 520d in sport but I fell for such a big car it could do with a bit more grunt....

this guy is fantastic, he did my 525d m sport, and today did my dads 335d. Very honest and genuine guy and very well priced! I will reccomend to anyone and will only go to him for this kind of work

this guy is fantastic, he did my 525d m sport, and today did my dads 335d. Very honest and genuine guy and very well priced! I will reccomend to anyone and will only go to him for this kind of work

+1 defo reccomded

Nice to know that people out there know their stuff and will help without making the customer spend loads...

I like my 520d in sport but I fell for such a big car it could do with a bit more grunt....

Do it :D easy 200+ bhp, nice kick

Yup it should be fine. They will remap it within the safe parameters

That's all you'll need really. If you want to go extreme then a dpf delete etc is something you may want to do but if you're after a litle poke then a remap is more than enough IMO

A good remap can range between 300-600 - depends on where you go. Some will come to you. Enda from this forum is someone you can approach, i haven't used him but i been reading some good reviews so worth giving him a shout

I've removed mine and the car feels awsome! It will only smoke on foot smack down but then it's not a lot. Regarding mot...it will pass. They only do a visual inspection and smoke test does not throw anything untoward. A lot of people recently passed their mot's on this forum. Blobby passed his, and he has no dpf shell remaining, just a straight pipe haha

If you know the mot tester, it will pass no problem

darklordmick, i would recommend the DPF to be removed, i had mine done and the mpg gaines is impressive. Before i went to Avon Tuning i took it to a place in Hull which removed my Cat not my DPG because thy had no idea what they were doing but now i have that hollowed and the dpf holloweed with a remap the car goes so muvh better and the mpg is better than i ever expected. It does chuck out a bit of smoke when i give it some but it doesnt really bother me too much. I have a spare cat to whack back on if it does fail the smoke test but like mentioned im hoping to take it to someone who will pass it.

Funny that I do...it's my fiance's uncle....wink....

I was just reading up on your reply to thread back in April...I take it the issues ya had have now gone?

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/79536-520d-dpf-removal-and-remap/

Yup! All issues resolved. Car runs very smooth now with no hesitation. It's defo worth doing. Call up Avon for a quote, your one will probs be slightly more as it's an lci.

If we agree a weekend, then we could have a mini dyno meet

Who is volunteering to arrange then? Bet the Saturdays will get booked up well quick once dyno is fitted

I guess we need to know who's interested in getting theirs done...once we know that could email him and ask for bulk discount and get them to book an entire day for us forum members....

Not fair I've only got the baby 2.0d...lol

I've seen Avon Bristol on eBay doing dpf delete for £249 then I guess the same again for remap...

But I have emailed a few for prices

Haha what makes you think i don't have the same :)

id be up for meeting and going on the dyno. I was there on Saturday and he said it will be £50 to put it on. Will be good to see members cars too! Shaz ive seen your car on here a few times! Im slowley saving to get stuff done to mine but will take a while  :(

id be up for meeting and going on the dyno. I was there on Saturday and he said it will be £50 to put it on. Will be good to see members cars too! Shaz ive seen your car on here a few times! Im slowley saving to get stuff done to mine but will take a while  :(

50 quid is not bad at all.

Thanks mate, i haven't done much to the car, just looks like i did haha