Saint

Noisy windscreen wiper...

20 posts in this topic

..is sending me a bit mad. It's the passenger side one when it changes from the top of its sweep to come down (ie when it changes direction), it makes a hell of a noise. I have changed the Bosch wiper to another make and back again and it still does it. If I had to have a guess, maybe the wiper arm is too tight on the screen, so is there any way of loosening it? Don't want to start bending it?

Or is there another reason? I can't imagine that I am the only person that has this, and gets p***ed off with it. 

Mine does exactly the same and I have tried everything to rectify but found applying Rainex to the screen has helped a little. I can honestly say the wipers are the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I've had no end of trouble with the driver's side arm being noisy, slack and slapping against the bonnet too - very poor engineering which I've had to ahem, modify. Whoever made the decision to leave them in left hand drive configuration needs a word.

My only complaint with the car though so not too bad.

Edited by 66split

I get it occasionally, you can only adjust the arm's length, the spring is fixed and under very high tension - unless you want to replace it with rubber bands? :lol:

Mine does exactly the same and I have tried everything to rectify but found applying Rainex to the screen has helped a little. I can honestly say the wipers are the worst of any vehicle I have ever owned. I've had no end of trouble with the driver's side arm being noisy, slack and slapping against the bonnet too - very poor engineering which I've had to ahem, modify. Whoever made the decision to leave them in left hand drive configuration needs a word.

My only complaint with the car though so not too bad.

The drivers side arm may be failing, the bearing on mine went at one of the pivot points and caused it to make a rather annoying clunk with every sweep, it cost my about £80 inc labour from the dealer to have it replaced.

Thanks for the replies......makes me feel so much better!!! Problem with RainX is that I always find that it smears. Maybe I can just apply on the passenger side

I noticed the wipers were noisy the very first time I drove the car in the rain. They are blumin awful.

If the wiper blande is juddering down the screen just grab the wiper arm with a pair of pliers - the flat metal part and bend it away from the direction of judder - just a little, that will allow the blade to work properly again.

This video shows the technique - toward end of video.....

My wipers are noisy as hell. I think it's just a BMW 5 thing. I'm going to try that tip in the video, but substitute a cut up credit card for "white tack" I think it will be a stopping noise,

Yes mine are noisy as well, and you're right it seems to be normal. Annoying, becuase if there is one thing I really hate it is noisy wipers !

Saint, Tuvoc, memyself and 66split - could you run the wipers and lift one arm at a time and see which one it is that makes the noise while sweeping? I thought it was my passenger's side, but turns out that it's the driver's side after testing it as above. This ties is in Ian saying his drivers side bearing needed replacing... eek!

Okay, an update on this. Mine was drivers side aswell and I thought I'd improved it slightly but to no avail and it got bad again. So, a trip to a breakers yard and £20 later a new drivers side wiper arm mechanism is fitted and new Valeo blades fitted to both sides. The result - wipers are eerily quiet. No slapping, no hitting bonnet and no noisy exchange at the top of the sweep.

I had a closer look at mine and notice there's rotational play in wiper itself, where it sits on the arm. Will try the above mentioned credit card trick.

I had mine in for a service today and got them to look at my wipers, as they too, were extremely noisy (As in, a real loud clonk when they change direction at the top of the sweep).

I had replaced the wipers about 6 months ago, with Bosch.  They took one look at them and told me I had apparently fitted them the wrong way round, ie the driver blade in the passenger side, and vice versus! (Twit!)  :mrgreen:   Because of this, as the blades are 'handed' they were not clipped in fully, which meant that there was a bit of play in them, which caused the loud clonkadonk.  The chap swapped them round and as if by magic, silent wipers!  :oops:

Not suggesting that this is going to be the fix for your clunking, but might be worth checking!  :mrgreen:

Edited by yardie

Sorry, old post resurrected, but - Recently bought my 540i and first time in rain today. God they are noisy! And Lhd set up! Wow.

On my '54 plate, a spot of oil on the arm pivot spindle helped quieten the knocking noise from the passenger side wiper blade on its directional change. New blades made no difference. The car is now showing ~121K miles, so whether it's wear in the spindle, etc., but the noise had persisted during 7 years of otherwise trouble-free ownership.  

Clean the windscreen properly using proper glass cleaner and you might not need to use your wipers at all, i rarely need to use mine!

oh my days I have the same annoying ,noise on change of direction!!! Will try the fixes mentioned on here  :)

Me too, eventually. Won't be able to stand it for long.