leew88

Petrol fuel economy

Drove from home to Birmingham this evening along the M4/M40 motorway, resetted my MPG computer and cruise at 70mph completed 110miles and achieved 38.7mpg in lean burn mode. I'm awaiting to see what I will achieve after my track session to morrow.

post-44969-0-76293200-1410042425_thumb.j

Yep, I got 39 mpg from mine a while back on a trip to up near Birmingham and back, sticking to 70mph and there were also 50mph speed limit stretches. But I think that could have been with no aircon on, or at least not on the whole way.

Edited by Tuvoc

The exact reason I didn't by a problem laden derv...... :D

Mines never dropped below 24mpg whatever conditions and on a run, mid 30's is a breeze.

The exact reason I didn't by a problem laden derv...... :D

Mines never dropped below 24mpg whatever conditions and on a run, mid 30's is a breeze.

My long term average is 28mpg I think, which is mostly urban running with some long trips. Around town I think it is about 23mpg. Shorter trips where the time spent during warm-up is proportionally a bigger part of the journey, really kills the mpg.

At one point I switched to Tesco Momentum 99 for a few months, and the economy dropped. I couldn't figure out why, until I switched back to Shell 95 for a few tanks because there was not a Tesco around, and the mpg jumped back up again, and has stayed there for the last few months. So fuel can make a difference. I stick to Shell 95 now simply because I know what I am getting, but equally Esso or BP is probably the same. But not Tesco ever again.

Impressive figures. By and large they are around 10mpg less than the equivalent diesel(offset a little by the cheaper cost of fuel) but minus the whole black smoke thing when you put your foot down!

I think for me the only reason to change to a petrol is the smoke. I quite enjoy the drive of a derv.

Impressive figures. By and large they are around 10mpg less than the equivalent diesel(offset a little by the cheaper cost of fuel) but minus the whole black smoke thing  stump pulling torque when you put your foot down!

I think for me the only reason to change to a petrol is the smoke. I quite enjoy the drive of a derv.

:mrgreen:

I quite like petrols, but only if they are large (5 litres or more) V8s.

When they start producing those that can return 48-50 MPG on a motorway run, I want nothing more to do with diesels.

My long term average is 28mpg I think, which is mostly urban running with some long trips. Around town I think it is about 23mpg. Shorter trips where the time spent during warm-up is proportionally a bigger part of the journey, really kills the mpg.

At one point I switched to Tesco Momentum 99 for a few months, and the economy dropped. I couldn't figure out why, until I switched back to Shell 95 for a few tanks because there was not a Tesco around, and the mpg jumped back up again, and has stayed there for the last few months. So fuel can make a difference. I stick to Shell 95 now simply because I know what I am getting, but equally Esso or BP is probably the same. But not Tesco ever again.

this is brilliant!! i used to work for large oil refinery and i can assure you, our road loading bays were filled with:

tesco tankers

shell

bp

texaco

sainsburys

murco

total

refinery in question was Total at the time! its now Murco, but all the same trust me.

Impressive figures. By and large they are around 10mpg less than the equivalent diesel(offset a little by the cheaper cost of fuel) but minus the whole black smoke thing when you put your foot down!

and offset by the massive premium of diesel car in first place lol. They say you have to drive over 50,000 miles before diesel is even breaking even with the petrol equivalent due to extra cost etc.

this is brilliant!! i used to work for large oil refinery and i can assure you, our road loading bays were filled with:

tesco tankers

shell

bp

texaco

sainsburys

murco

total

refinery in question was Total at the time! its now Murco, but all the same trust me.

I've heard that several times before. The difference is in the additives of course, and Tesco 99 is different.

Edited by Tuvoc

its the same trust me!

Tesco 99 is very different to say Shell 95. Try each in your car for a few thousand miles, and then I dare you to come back and say it is the same.

and offset by the massive premium of diesel car in first place lol. They say you have to drive over 50,000 miles before diesel is even breaking even with the petrol equivalent due to extra cost etc.

But then don't forget you will get that premium back when you sell the car on :) 

Also, whilst on the subject of Tesco 99, do petrol owners fill up with high octane fuel? The higher cost will negate the point of buying a petrol imo. Theres no need for it unless you are chasing a couple of horsepower at most. Theres no need to worry about detonation in a BMW N/A engine either. 

Tesco 99 is very different to say Shell 95. Try each in your car for a few thousand miles, and then I dare you to come back and say it is the same.

I've chopped and changed between Tesco 99 and V power in many cars and found near enough zero difference. 

Also, whilst on the subject of Tesco 99, do petrol owners fill up with high octane fuel? The higher cost will negate the point of buying a petrol imo. Theres no need for it unless you are chasing a couple of horsepower at most. Theres no need to worry about detonation in a BMW N/A engine either. 

No, I tried various premium fuels and ended up sticking to 95. No benefit from higher octane fuels for normal driving, except for the advertised superior engine cleaning additives.

I've chopped and changed between Tesco 99 and V power in many cars and found near enough zero difference. 

Did you measure fuel economy on each over a few tanks full ?

its the same trust me!

you think tesco has some half arsed attempt at a Refinery I take it?

The loading bays are full of different brands all using same products!! they all have contracts with one another to supply fuel at various locations around the country.

Did you measure fuel economy on each over a few tanks full ?

With the 200sx i used to fill up on only vpower, then moved to tesco 99 as it was local. Never noticed a difference in economy or power.

With the s2000 and tvr I chopped and changed.

Probably not the most test friendly cars though!

A 5 litre V8 that returns 50mpg on a run? Maybe with cylinder de-activation and a tail wind :D

on the back of a trailer!

Best thing about diesels are if you need to get somewhere at 80-90kmph, you really don't lose much mpg wise, in a petrol you can notice the fuel needle dropping!