e39_eddie_46

Andrive - new AN39-3! First review

Ok, so on Thursday evening I drove down to Andrive HQ to meet Phil and collect my new AN39-3!

What a nice, and genuine guy Phil is for any of you who are concerned he hasn't posted much on the forum. (He hasn't paid me to write this ;)

Anyway, first impressions of the unit when it came out of the box were 'wow'. It really does look OEM and is a far better looking unit than the older one.

I had the Version 2, for a week or so and wasn't impressed so sold it and placed my order for this, and boy am I glad I did!

The fit is 99% perfect, but as we all know not every car is the same. I have a 3mm gap across the bottom of mine, which I need to enlarge the fixing holes so I can lower it to make it 100% but that's an easy fix!

Works effortlessly, and the touch screen is a lot nicer than previous and is glass (I think) and works much easier.

The keyboard etc is all easier to use also and is very much like an android phone or tablet.

CD player is great and plays everything

Navigation is a great bit of kit, you may be lucky and get a nav app on an SD card

Bluetooth is perfect and very clear for phone use

Apps and wifi etc etc are all excellent. Download almost anything and connect to your iPhone or other phone as a wifi hotspot and away you go.

Anyway, I'll post some quick pics for you all to enjoy.

But trust me....you WON'T be dissapointed with this at all.

264567FE-45FF-4A1A-A15F-5D0FB0262FAD_zps

C3B139E2-1C8B-4FE7-B16A-7C06127B9339_zps

C3B139E2-1C8B-4FE7-B16A-7C06127B9339_zps

E43396A2-C3B4-4E65-90FA-FDEE606BF838_zps

The phone book is great. It syncs with my contacts automatically and I can choose to call anyone from that.

BUT....I can't tell you much more than that as I haven't really used the phone side.

You can play music through Bluetooth easily too

I had a play with mines in the boot but have a few little issues too

I couldnt see how to call anyone from the phonebook on the screen.

I take it I need to splice or connect to the car radio antenna which currently goes to the bm54 unit as there is a spare cable for that but no connector that i can see.

Bluetooth mudic doesnt work properly but thats not a major issue.

I was upgraded from a 2 to a 3 yesterday morning and had a three hour drive home with the new device. I am the first to admit I am no power user of the massive functionality potential of these devices, but I'm very happy to report that even the simple stuff is done miles better with this 3 than by the 2. Radio reception is much better, phonebook integration is now properly usable, warm boot facility ads massive convenience, and for me a huge improvement is that you can now turn off non-android functionality without changing mode.

I still have to learn how to fine-tune this machine, but so far i seems to be an improvement in just about every way over the already fine 2. 

Me too, now that I have had a week using it, I think its very good, never had the 2, but this a huge improvement over the factory MKIV unit too.

Although i have no 5 serie but a 3 serie E 43, the specifications and the gui from this unit are the same and i really like the front and the 'return, home and that other button' like on my S4 phone. But i have some questions. How many usb ports (except the front mini usb) on the back are there? Can the radio store the names of the radio stations on the bottom on the screen instead of the frequentie, and where can you read the RDS info on the screen? Did you get some updates to enable the LOUD setting and correct the Chinese word in to English? does it runs Torque and BMWHAT with a usb connection instead off bluetooth?

Are there some issues with the unit that pop up after some weeks?

My apologies for the bad English.

Hi

You can have station names displayed but only the one you are on

The only problems I have had should all be fixable with software updates once available

Hi

You can have station names displayed but only the one you are on

The only problems I have had should all be fixable with software updates once available

Can you tell how high the amp is, is that 45 or 60 watt @ 4 ohm? And i read somewhere that this unit have bluetooth 4.0, is that so?
I know, a lot of questions but i want to inform myself as good if i can before i buy something like these Android device. And Phil, If your back after moving, will you attend in Germany For the big Essen motor show in december, so we can see that device work?
thats Europe's largest and most important show for tuning, car audio, motor sport, series sports vehicles, classic cars and motorbikes.

Did the owners receive any updates that fixes some problems with the  unit?

The original Andrive -3 page is locked so nobody can ask some questions/tips or what so ever, even on the bug forum posts are removed. I love the look and giu of that unit, but i am scared from al the issues that i read, so i skip the purchase for a long while until the biggest problems are solved. pitty.

Hi Sonic, no updates as yet. Andrive are aware of the issues and are working on them. I am sure Andrive can comment on why posts have been deleted. Issues will be resolved but we have to be patient. It is a great unit and I am happy with my purchase. Will be even happier when the bugs are sorted out. I am just surprised how little feedback there has been, good or bad. Seems only 3 or 4 of us have bought one. Unless other units are working 100%. I don't know. I don't even have a 5 series I have an X5 but there are no discussions on the Xdrivers forum which is why I am sharing my experiences on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by dobbor1

Well finally had a chance to install the Andrive 3 properly and adjust the amps etc..  The unit is SOOOO much better, I obviously have the same common faults which Phil is working on (bluetooth unclear, balance/fader issue etc), however putting that to one side I'm quite impressed.  The screen is lovely, dare i say better than the one on my Galaxy note 3, certainly on par with it at least, it's also very fast, all the apps load instantly and having several apps open at once is no problem at all.  The steering controls work well and it was easier to fit than the previous model due to the brackets being a better design.  I haven't had a chance to try out the sat nav yet as I need to grab a copy of iGo or Co-Pilot at some point.  It also handle its data downloads in a better way, the old unit used to get through the data at an unbelievable rate however this one seems to use it more efficiently which has saved me a few quid.

So overall I'm happy with the new unit and happy with the customer service Phil has given me, as mentioned previously you do need to call him or pop in and you'll be happy with the service, I know he went above and beyond for me so no complaints from me here.  

Hopefully a little software update will eventually come and sort out the little niggles, however updates and ongoing improvements is the way the tablet world works nowadays, I get frequent updates on my Samsung phone, I got the note 3 the day it came out and it came with lock screen issues when they first launched and that is a huge company like Samsung which they sorted out about a month later with an update, so it's really nothing out of the ordinary to expect bug updates etc.. 

Thanks for your help with everything Phil

Edited by jholzherr

Is your mic working ok for phone calls? What about the steering wheel controls? Can you change mode, select phone numbers, dial out and receive calls with them? Basically have total hands free with the phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have connected my phone to the unit but haven't tried a call yet, I have also got myself an external mic which I'm yet to install.  So can't comment on that part of it yet, will have to give it a go a bit later today.  With regards to steering controls I've had no issues using the volume knobs, I use spotify so unable to change tracks on the wheel but to be honest I expected that as I assume the controls only work on the native music player app that the unit came installed with.  

Well I've made a discovery, the steering wheel controls work with Rara music streaming service for next/previous track, not only that they work in the correct order i.e 'up' is next track.. Even more good news is that Rara is an audiophile grade app that streams FLAC files rather than MP3's, to put that in context Spotify goes up to 320kbit/s with its Extreme Quality stream, the basic level for Rara is at the equibalent of 1311.2kbit/s while it's studio master setting is a whopping 2116.8kbits.  I've been searching ages for an app like this, really pleased I can do away with the MP3's spoitfy give and start streaming FLAC only.