BarryM

Understanding INPA errors

Sorry if this has been posted and answered before (I'm sure it probably has been).

Can anyone give me a bit of basic help on the format of errors?

This is one from yesterday:

Engine ME7.2 M62 020814.pdf

98 Tankentlueftungsventil Endstufe is obviously the error but is there an easy lookup list for these?

I assume the Error frequency is how often it's occurred but it just lists error occurred 1 time at, 2 times at, 3 times at...but no more - so does INPA only show the first 3 examples?

I have seen Jimmy recommend using DIS so I guess that will be my next challenge.

The car seems to be running fine by the way!

Tankentlueftungsventil Endstufe = Tank ventilation valve output stage amplifier??  (Apparently).

DIS will come up in English, with more details, but if you need a quicker reference, you can either put it into google translate

https://translate.google.com/

Or you can use this list - 

http://www.endtuning.com/bmwcodes.html#DME 7.2

Error frequency is how many times the code has been seen

Logistic counter is a number which counts down from 40 (in most cases, although some rare codes are on 80)

So- when the car is driving, and it tries the tank vent valve and it doesn't work, it will add one to the frequency, and set the logistic counter to 40.

If the next time the car is driven and it has got to the point of checking the tank vent valve and it works OK, it'll take one off the logisitcs counter, and it'll drop to 39.

If it gets 40 clear runs without seeing the fault, it'll erase it and forget all about it.

That means the problem has been seen 32 times, the last time was 6 drives ago (40-34 = 6).

The data below that is the timestamps of some of the times it was seen, so it seems to be happening at idle speeds.

That's a really helpful post, assuming the link's to your website so much appreciated. 

On the few occasions I've found errors I've kept a record and then cleared them but I guess I could leave them and see what the logistic counter is on the next time I check?

Last couple of questions....does Error occurred 1 times at, Error occurred 2 times at etc just mean error 1, error 2 or has the fault been found 1 times, 2 times etc (hope that makes sense). Also why are only 3 errors listed in this instance when the frequency shows it;s happened 32 times.

thanks again. 

There's only a certain amount of memory space for storing the codes, and certain lucky codes get three individual records made.

I believe they are the first time it was seen, and the last two times.

On 8/3/2014 at 8:53 AM, BarryM said:

Sorry if this has been posted and answered before (I'm sure it probably has been).

Can anyone give me a bit of basic help on the format of errors?

This is one from yesterday:

Engine ME7.2 M62 020814.pdf

98 Tankentlueftungsventil Endstufe is obviously the error but is there an easy lookup list for these?

I assume the Error frequency is how often it's occurred but it just lists error occurred 1 time at, 2 times at, 3 times at...but no more - so does INPA only show the first 3 examples?

I have seen Jimmy recommend using DIS so I guess that will be my next challenge.

The car seems to be running fine by the way!

Barry, what did you do to remove the error code? What was the fix?

Edited by Piper

13 hours ago, Piper said:

Barry, what did you do to remove the error code? What was the fix?

Hi Chris, I never bothered to fix this as I don't seem to have any issues from it. However it's located in the engine bay and a doddle to replace apparently.......

Edited by BarryM
spelling!