Cerberus

Nurburgring

In off to the green hell on the 15th Aug, apparently it's public days over the weekend so I'm going to put some laps on my 530d.

Is anyone else going at the same time?

And whilst planning the route is the anything amazing on the way that I really should detour to?

Not much to see en route to be honest. You could go South and avoid motorways (boring but effective)  The 'ring is open 5.30 to 7.30 on Friday and then all day Saturday 16th and Sun 17th.

Is it your first trip ?  If not, ignore the following...if it is your first trip, a bit of advice...

Avoid turning up at 5.25pm on the Friday, buying a lap ticket and heading straight out. Get there a good bit earlier, wander about and soak up the atmosphere. Read the notice board near the ticket office and remember that 1. It is a public road and many of  the marshalls are off duty German cops. Ze Germans are not noted for their sense of humour so go back to 1. it is a public road.

Then, if you are there for the weekend, go and watch at Brunchen and Pflanzgarten for the rest of the session.

Don't get hammered on the Friday night and go first thing on Saturday morning.Wait for all the loonies to set off between 8am and 8.08am and you should notice a lull, set off then and take a really steady lap.

Bear in mind the insurance implications. If you know about them, fine, if not, you may want to PM me. (Is that do-able ??)  

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/tourist-rides/tourist-rides-nordschleife/opening-times-nordschleife.html  is the official site.

www.northloop.co.uk

has loads of good info

Edited by boristhebold

That's great advice.

We are arriving on Friday but have no intention of lapping as I should imagine we will be pretty sick of driving by then. We might drop by the ring though to soak up ambience as you recommend.

Ring lapsed is sat only for us and we are thinking 2 laps each and maybe a ring taxi lap too. Followed by car spotting. Neither of us are heroes so we will be drinking deserted UK country road speeds rather than gran turismo lappage.

Thanks for the advice really appreciated, and we will spice up the route with pancakes in Bruges and an overnight on the return leg in Amsterdam (which is not or of the way if you squint really hard)

You'll do incredibly well to get a taxi lap in the official taxis as they are booked up weeks or months in advance. What is generally easy to do is to find a UK regd car and go and chat with the driver, ask them if they mind giving a pax lap. Be wary of those that cite fast lap times, they'll either be liars or loonies. The decent ones will be happy to take you out and will often be just as fast as the ring taxis....seriously. A load cheaper as well at about 20 euros for their fuel (not handed over in open view of any officials as it is verboten.

Yes, time dependent. The A61 from Kerpen takes you perhaps 20 miles to a junction with eh A1 South, take the A1 and if you see the dermis tricked signs that we seen in the Uk, hey presto, foot to the floor. This road will turn into a normal main road and bring you to some traffic lights and then a left turn onto the A258, a sublime twisty road all the way to the Nurburgring.

When I went on a motorbike about 10 years ago I found the local roads were worth going for on their own. It truly is a beautiful part of the world with very hospitable people. The ring is the icing on the cake. Just keep it off the metal and on the tarmac or it will cost you dear!

Edited by Nomis

Nurburgring was incredibly important easy to get on. From Folkstone to the ring entrance was such a doddle I wonder why I didn't go earlier.

On the ring itself the other drivers were really fast but managed 8 laps (crashed gtr closed the circuit for 2 hours). And by the end I lopped almost 2 minutes off my first run (12:02 was my best). Anyone thinking of going should definitely do it before the regulations tighten and we aren't allowed to use it anymore. d82a2df90bcab84dfc50e9d55299d679.jpg3e70b68d829743ff3da0e392fae68ccc.jpg

I will be going out there in 5 weeks, this will be my second visit love the place such a good atmosphere and  plenty of adrenalin when pushing on around the track. Did you have ago in the ring taxi whist you were there?   

Chaps. Please bear in mind that although technically covered to drive the ring with your British insurance (it is a road during TF) what happens if you have an off and claim is that the Hugely powerful insurance company WILL seek to get their loss back from you. There will be a clause in the smll print of your policy that talks of either the Nurburgring Nordschleife specifically or makes mention of de restricted one way toll roads. You are then breaching their terms and conditions. Under EU law they have to provide cover but due to these T and Cs they can claw it back.

If you wallop a barrier it may cost €2500 plus any damage to your car. If you take out a GT3 worth £100k and hospitalise the driver....gulp.

I am not trying to scaremonger. I took my z4 round last year for a very sedate lap but the absolute worst thing that you can do is use a stopwatch and time yourself. All you end up doing is trying to go that bit faster each time with often inevitable consequences.

If you want to chase times, hire a track car from RSR Nurburg or RentRaceCar.com etc. it may seem a lot for say a Clio Cup, £300 for 4 laps all Incl but do the maths. The laps would be £100, fuel would be £40 and wear and tear on a car for 50 very hard driven miles .....(think each NS lap = 6 track day laps on a Uk circuit)