Elizabeth

My air-ride E39 540i build thread

137 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, merc convert said:

You doing colour change Elizabeth emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed ;) The interior might be getting a bit of attention too...

5 minutes ago, Bullvine said:

any pics of the wheels you have for sale ?

Which ones are you thinking of?

just saw you had mentioned style 42 wheels but any you have for sale could be of interest, pm me any pics and prices if you dont mind.

cheer steve

3 minutes ago, Bullvine said:

just saw you had mentioned style 42 wheels but any you have for sale could be of interest, pm me any pics and prices if you dont mind.

cheer steve

No problem, will dig some out for you. 

Ignore the people bashing air - I love it! As someone already said, I think the air ride suits the character of the car brilliantly. I owned an E39 540 for a while and it's such a comfy wafter.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics :)

1 hour ago, Rafftank said:

Ignore the people bashing air - I love it! As someone already said, I think the air ride suits the character of the car brilliantly. I owned an E39 540 for a while and it's such a comfy wafter.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics :)

Thanks :) The thing is it's not wafty at all now! It rides like a good aftermarket performance suspension setup, it's got adjustable damping and I've also had the car polybushed and fitted thicker anti-roll bars front and rear so it's tight and firm to drive and feels fantastic, especially with the M5 steering box fitted, which has really sharpened up the driving experience no end. 

1 minute ago, Elizabeth said:

Thanks :) The thing is it's not wafty at all now! It rides like a good aftermarket performance suspension setup, it's got adjustable damping and I've also had the car polybushed and fitted thicker anti-roll bars front and rear so it's tight and firm to drive and feels fantastic, especially with the M5 steering box fitted, which has really sharpened up the driving experience no end. 

Oooh you've done a lot more than most then! I think the air-ride handling stigma just comes from the people that just fit shonky kits for 'lows' only.

How much quicker is the M5 box? The steering in my 540 was appalling - it really was a land yacht haha! :P

When will the car be done in the body shop? I'm very interested to see more!

1 minute ago, Rafftank said:

Oooh you've done a lot more than most then! I think the air-ride handling stigma just comes from the people that just fit shonky kits for 'lows' only.

How much quicker is the M5 box? The steering in my 540 was appalling - it really was a land yacht haha! :P

When will the car be done in the body shop? I'm very interested to see more!

Yes, though part of me wonders if I've done too much, as the E39 isn't really a car I take out for a drive as I'm extremely precious over it, even more so once it comes back from its makeover, so it spends its life being cleaned and driven to and from shows. Also, back in November I bought something non-BMW that's a rather more raucous and rough-edged machine, which I'm turning into a bit of a street hooligan and which I really enjoy driving...

Well, the paint is all done, so now I'm just waiting on the interior. Fingers crossed it won't be too long now... 

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth said:

Yes, though part of me wonders if I've done too much, as the E39 isn't really a car I take out for a drive as I'm extremely precious over it, even more so once it comes back from its makeover, so it spends its life being cleaned and driven to and from shows. Also, back in November I bought something non-BMW that's a rather more raucous and rough-edged machine, which I'm turning into a bit of a street hooligan and which I really enjoy driving...

Well, the paint is all done, so now I'm just waiting on the interior. Fingers crossed it won't be too long now... 

Well you spent the money on it to enjoy it - sometimes it's not all about the driving though!

@duncan-uk just beat me too it :D

What's the other car you're working on?

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Sometimes the process is more fun than the finished article i find.

This is very true, but I can't ever imagine selling it, unless someone made me a stupid offer. It's going to be the most modified car I've ever owned and about the only thing I would sell it for would be an E92 M3, but they're out of my price range and the other problem is that there are so many 3 Series' about, especially at shows, and it's very hard to put your own stamp on one. 

Just now, Rafftank said:

Well you spent the money on it to enjoy it - sometimes it's not all about the driving though!

@duncan-uk just beat me too it :D

What's the other car you're working on?

Agreed, just owning it is nice :)

That would be my '99 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 :D

163.JPG

Rafftank likes this

Not wanting to jinx it, but hopefully I will have the E39 back in a couple of weeks... Refusing to get excited until I'm standing in front of it and have the keys in my hand, though. 

Air ride on the forum...cool.

Agree with Duncan, the progress of a thread is interesting in itself

Not sure what colour the body in now but wondered are the callipers getting a colour makeover?

Second set of wheels are much better

On 2/9/2017 at 6:24 PM, sleeper said:

Air ride on the forum...cool.

Agree with Duncan, the progress of a thread is interesting in itself

Not sure what colour the body in now but wondered are the callipers getting a colour makeover?

Second set of wheels are much better

Well I've not actually got the car back yet, so won't be revealing anything about the colour just yet, but I might do something with them. I'll see how it goes, though silver is a pretty universal colour so I might just stick with them as they are, 

Thank you, but that's actually my third set! And wait until you see my fourth set... 

Edited by Elizabeth

Seeing as I can't offer any updates on the car, I thought I would mention a couple of things I did a while ago that I realised I hadn't written about on here yet. 

First up, a set of Eibach anti-roll bars. This is one of those mods that I feel like I didn't really need to do because I'm really not going to be driving the car much when I get it back, even less than before as I know I'm going to be incredibly precious about it, so the benefit of having these on the car is going to be wasted on me, but I'm in so deep that I can't even see the surface anymore and the only thing left to do is keep digging... The ARBs have definitely made a difference to how the car drives, and all the chassis mods combined mean it's about as far removed from the wobbly mess it was when I first bought it as is possible.

IMG_3230.JPG

Next up, I knew I had to do something about the stereo because the standard E39 setup has got to be on of the worst audio systems ever fitted to car, in fact it was so bad that I was actually actively avoiding listening to music. I was more than happy with my Dynavin head unit so I decided to deal with the awful speakers but without spending a fortune, so after a bit of shopping around I went for a Kenwood setup, consisting of KFC-E130P components up front, KFC-X133 two-ways for the parcel shelf and finally a KSC-SW11 powered sub to finish things off. When it came to fitting, the new tweeters were too big so we left the old ones in but the door speakers went in without a hitch while at the back the two-ways just required the plastic enclosures they sit in to be trimmed a fraction in order to accommodate the magnets comfortably; the sub, meanwhile, fitted perfectly in the rear armrest cavity and, while this does mean the armrest can't be folded away, it's really not an issue for me. Most importantly of all, the difference this little setup has made is absolutely astonishing, it's just completely transformed the listening experience and while it may not be the most impressive setup, or the loudest with the biggest bass, for me it's perfect, I love how it sounds and I can finally actually enjoy listening to music in the car :)

IMG_3307.JPG

113.JPG

Finally, though I've now managed to curb my wheel addiction, I couldn't control myself once day and somehow ended up buying two sets of wheels within the space of half an hour... The first was a decidedly shabby looking quartet of staggered AC Schnitzer Type III Racing 19s, while the second was a set of staggered 19" Haman HM5s. I decided that I would get the Schnitzers refurbed and run them as winter wheels, and they were actually finished a while ago but I went so crazy with the colour scheme that I'm not actually sure I'm brave enough to post any pics up here, lol :lol: As for the Hamanns, well they've just sort of sat there for over a year now so it's probably time I put them up for sale... :rolleyes:

312.JPG

316.JPG

039.PNG

Edited by Elizabeth

So, after 16 months apart the E39 and I have finally been reunited and, as you can see, it's looking a little bit different... It's had a full respray in Midnight Purple I and a full custom re-trim by Corbeau in white leather with purple stitching and a pair of Corbeau RRS seats up front for good measure. I can't really put into words how happy I am, how amazing I think it looks and how it feels to finally have it back.

044.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

051.JPG

Piper and Carl-e34 like this

Wow, youve really taken this to the next level.

Looks fantastic, well done.