Apologies if this has been covered before, but for anyone who wasn't aware when the DVLA scrap tax discs in October you will no longer be able to sell a vehicle with the benefit of tax. Any full months outstanding road fund licence will be automatically refunded to the registered keeper.

So it makes sense to try and arrange the transfer at the end of the month or you will lose out on a months-worth of tax refund, not an issue for older cars, but the more exotic, high-tax bracket cars that some folk on here drive could leave a hole in the pocket!

Hi Pauliexjr,

Have always been confused by this.

Mine runs out on 31st Aug…what happens after this? Do I tax the vehicle as normal and won’t need displaying it?

I have to admit this has me confused as well. I also wonder what happens to the cars were exempt, as in cars that are registered for disabled. At present they are sent a tax disc for no charge. Also cars that are old enough to get their annual disc at no charge.

Bill

Hi Pauliexjr,

Mine runs out on 31st Aug…what happens after this? Do I tax the vehicle as normal and won’t need displaying it?

You still tax your car as normal but you just dont get a paper disc. More info

You still tax your car as normal but you just dont get a paper disc. More info

Ah cheers mate.

What a waste of a tenner for the aluminium tax disc holder that I bought!

I have to admit this has me confused as well. I also wonder what happens to the cars were exempt, as in cars that are registered for disabled. At present they are sent a tax disc for no charge. Also cars that are old enough to get their annual disc at no charge.

Bill

You still need to apply for the tax at no charge just as you do at present, it then gets registered on the database just like any other vehicle, which means anyone who can access that i.e. the police, traffic wardens etc can check if your car is taxed or not. 

Hi Pauliexjr,

No,you will need to display the tax disc. It's only for new discs (not) issued after 14th October.

You still need to apply for the tax at no charge just as you do at present, it then gets registered on the database just like any other vehicle, which means anyone who can access that i.e. the police, traffic wardens etc can check if your car is taxed or not.

Thanks Paul

Bill

Registered disabled cars,patient transport ambulances and tax exempt vehicles will have sticker on widscreen ,same size as tax disc and will have same info which the badge currently hold.at the same time a new APP is being developed ,through which parking wardens can automatically check if a disabled badge advertised on dashboard is fake,stolen or genuine by typing in the number.

Edited by hardy

Surprised you know what they are young man ;)

Tax discs or frisbees? I've had a few tax discs (not nearly as many as I've had cars, mind) and there's no age limit on frisbees. There were always frisbees, and there will always be frisbees.

And boomerangs. But tax discs are dead.

6DA1E0AB-F2F4-42B1-8CF5-1ADDC5841E62_zps