So its been a long time, but I have been able to make a little progress.
First off, here are the details from the VIN Decoder
Type Code 4132
E Series E28 ()
Model 525 I (EUR)
Engine M30 [Yay!]
Power 0 [Should be 150 HP]
Drive HECK [Just means rear wheel drive]
Transmission MECH [Manual - Didn't give details but I'm guessing its a 260]
Colour PLATANENGRUEN METALLIC (188) [Don't get why you guys like this colour so much]
Upholstery (0133) [More Gruen]
Prod. Date 1986-01-14
L812A National version Great Britain
S233 PISTENDAEMPFUNG [No Idea what this means]
S295A BMW LA wheel, Exclusive styling [Guess mine are aftermarket coz they aren't BMW]
S300A Central locking with anti theft system [Dead]
S301A Alarm systems [None]
S311 ELEKTRISCHER BEIFAHRERSPIEGEL [Electric Side Mirrors - Dead]
S350A Therm. insulat. glass green [Gone]
S411A Window lifts,electric,front/rear [Dead]
S415A Sun-blind, rear [Gone]
S498A Headrests, rear, mechanically adjustable
S500A Headlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning [Gone]
S510A Headlight aim control [Not sure but should be dead]
S520A Fog lights [Missing]
S530A Air conditioning
S548A Kilometer-calibrated speedometer
S551A On-board computer II with remote control [Dead]
S570A Reinforced power supply [Ha!]
S823A Hot-climate version [Good news being that we are on the Equator, hopefully this has helped preserve components]
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S850A Dummy-SALAPA [No Idea what this is]
As you can see most of the electronics are dead. I hope its just corrosion in the fuse box so hopefully once we clean that out, put in all new fuses and relays, and spray it with electrical cleaner, things should start to work. Any suggestions on this?
We took out the tank, it has a hole in it so there was no fuel. It was also quite dirty so we cleaned that out and welded the hole.
Unfortunately, the Fuel sender / Fuel level and the fuel pump seem to be toast. I have already found a place to get the fuel pump but the fuel sender is proving to be difficult.
But at least there was some great news..... It STARTED!! We put in the new Coil lead wire, changed the engine oil, put in a bit of oil into the piston chambers, pushed in some fuel directly into the lines and after just a little bit of searching, it roared to life!! So I'm ecstatic about that. At least I know it lives. Only ran it for like 30 seconds though because there was no fuel pump.
The gears would not engage and the clutch is just dropping to the floor. On taking a further look, we suspect that the Clutch Slave Cylinder is shot.
So from the early assessment, the things that I will be needing are:
1. Fuel Pump and Fuel Sender/ Fuel Level Gauge
2. Clutch Slave Cylinder
3. Fuses and Relays - Possibly some rewiring work
4. Cooling fan Clutch
5. Water Pump Gasket
6. Normal Service Parts (Oil, Air, Fuel Filters, MT Fluid, Spark Plugs)
7. Full Coolant flush and replacement
9. Brake Fluid
The whole process is still challenging since we couldn't move the car with no pump and no gears therefore it is still upcountry. That means a 350Km journey every time we need to check/fix something. Once I am able to get it back to Nairobi (hopefully without having to hire a flatbed) things should get better and I can work on something every weekend.