All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. d_a_n1979

Front axle suspension service

^^^ As above @530nm Meyle are more than adequate, don't need to be the HD variants either A lot of us use BMWmotormec via eBay and they're great to deal with and can post ASAP usually I'd also look to polybush the ARB bushes, but no others. This is personal preference however
  3. d_a_n1979

Which grade oil is best?

Did think that, Millers do a similar oil and 'think' the Triple QX 10W40 meats ACAE3/4 standards too (although the bottle states for diesels etc) Fuchs do a few; but I think they're all semi-syn, used them a lot with most of my previous Hondas etc (I had an account with Opie at one point)
  4. boiliebasher

Under seat battery size

Tanya batteries have always been superb with me. Great customer service. I thought they were bases in Wales though, not Luton?!
  5. Allanw

530i and Euro Emission Standard

I thought the M54 powered E39's were either Euro4 or Euro2??? depending on market. The online build sheet websites usually say the emmission standard. My E39 is from Singapore and is EU2, with no EGR or SAI pump. I think the Euro4 have SAI pumps? (no EGR though - don;t think M54s used them - they use valve timing instead). A build sheet from a BMW Dealer, on letterhead, surely would be adequate? They can look up any car worldwide, as I understand.
  6. boiliebasher

Under seat battery size

I can also confirm that a 019 will fit under the rear seat of an E34. That's exactly what I fitted in my 540iA/T
  7. Tims

Manual Conversion Help

- bolts straight on A E34 M30 manual box will bolt straight onto your M30b28 - holes need to be drilled for sensors OR convert to M1.3 Correct, however around late 1989 they changed the boxes so there was no bosses to be drilled out, so you are looking for early E34 boxes, or yes convert to M1.3 from a E32 or E34 M30'd car. However, if you are still running your M30b28 management system, you will not have the two sensor's in the bell housing, but just one on the front of the crank. - need the clutch master cylinder and clutch line...assuming this is from the e34? Clutch master cylinder is attached to the pedal box, should come with that, the line is easy enough to make up - need a slave cylinder Attached to the box - the automatic switchable stuff, throttle position sensor I sort of understand and will tackle once I know what I've currently got on the car You can keep all of that in situ, just a couple of wires to attach, off the top of my head I can not remember what they are - diff I may just go down the route of having a lsd built to whatever spec is recommended...any one have an details of this? The world is your oyster on this, depend's what box you get as the ratio of the box and diff want to to married up, there is a spread sheet somewhere with it on - need the manual tail shaft Yes - need the manual mount Yes - pedal box I have from a e28 so assuming this will work ok Or E24, you can just purchase the clutch pedal from Bmw, there is difference's in year's, so be careful with that Can you guys review and chime in to steer me on this please. What I'd like to get out of this is a comprehensive list of parts that I can send to a breaker to get stripped off a 535i. If there is anyone wanting to take on the job then even better...let me know. I've given myself a deadline of May next year to complete the build. Currently working on getting her running properly again as she's not idling at the moment. Also need to change the petrol tank as its leaking. Once I've got these bits sorted she's off to the restoration company to do all the welding etc. Once out from there I'd like to get the transmission swapped. Thanks
  8. Tuvoc

530i and Euro Emission Standard

That could be possible - most importers of Japanese used cars will have a contact or representative in Japan, who could contact BMW Japan to get such a letter.
  9. Today
  10. SuperDave

Traction Control

Im talking about short press when in comfort, puts it in limited DSC i think!
  11. Yesterday
  12. Deviant

Bonnet stone chips, repairing.

That Larry from Ammo guy is so far up his own arse he waxes his hemorrhoids.
  13. Gave it a wash a couple of days ago - love Deep Sea Blue when clean, but doesn't work so well during the colder months IMO... (excuse the iPhone picture quality)
  14. Mashed Potatoes

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Haha cheers guys. I need to... get my 'friends' car on the rolling road soon, but it requires a fuel filter change and a sodding big cone filter first - I, I mean he has run out of airbox and has maxed out what the standard airbox with a K&N filter in it will flow. Hopefully early to mid July there will be rolling road figures. What I love about it is if it's treated nicely and just plodding along at 70-80 on the motorway with the rest of the world, it'll still average 43-45MPG.
  15. amazighman

Front axle suspension service

MEYLE HD thrust arm are very good indeed and more durable than the originals as they have upgraded bushings. Other standard Meyle suspension parts are quite good too and prices are good. I bought a set of Meyle HD thrust arms for 80 quid from Ebay. Yes you can buy the lots in one go, there are plenty of good sellers like C3BMW or BMWmotormec who have a good reputation. Check this out ,full Meyle front suspension arms set: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-Series-520-523-525-528-530-Complete-Front-Axle-Track-Control-Arm-Set/273191856318?epid=6005996117&hash=item3f9b80e8be:g:~Z8AAOSwrwxZ3qqY
  16. F10 530d

In response to the vid - all I have to say is holy f**k! Would give M5's a real hard run for their money thats for sure! Wow.
  17. gaza01

gaza01 528i build

Rejuvenating this thread as I'm back on. The m52 idea is no longer happening so has been sold. Keeping the m30 now and will do a manual conversion as originally planned. In order of priority it's getting her running smoothly again (I suspect I have some perished vacuum lines somewhere) new petrol tank and then welding...lots of it. Lol. I've managed to source 2 front doors which was a touch. Now looking for a bonnet with no rust. Once the welding is done I'll be on to the manual conversion. I've got a deadline for next year to hit.
  18. RightHandGoose

That video has got me going going big time.....so good. That's the biz..
  19. Tuvoc

Which grade oil is best?

I don't think that particularly matters if it is right for a particular engine. For example the oil below has no BMW approval but for some high mileage engines it may be the best thing to use, https://www.engineoildirect.co.uk/10w-40-valvoline-max-life-5ll
  20. Tuvoc

Seriously fast, and actually sounds fairly decent as well
  21. gaza01

E28 / E23 Bonnet Struts

Added to my 'to do list'
  22. Hi Doyal I'm happy to pick up where you left off on this and document all progress on a thread. If it ends up with us having a cheaper option for a tubular manifold other than the fritz then all good. Cheers
  23. gaza01

Manual Conversion Help

Hey Guys After a bit of a break I'm now back on restoring the 528i. Things slowed up due to a few issues but they are now all behind me. I have been collecting parts however to the point I have no more space left in my 2 sheds. One of the things I want to tackle is a manual conversion. The manual e28 boxes are like rocking horse poo now so looking at the e34 535i box. I read this thread http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/66833-535i-auto-to-manual-conversion/ and see that it is possible so just looking for some clarity. If I'm right (please correct me where I'm not) - bolts straight on - holes need to be drilled for sensors OR convert to M1.3 - need the clutch master cylinder and clutch line...assuming this is from the e34? - need a slave cylinder - the automatic switchable stuff, throttle position sensor I sort of understand and will tackle once I know what I've currently got on the car - diff I may just go down the route of having a lsd built to whatever spec is recommended...any one have an details of this? - need the manual tail shaft - need the manual mount - pedal box I have from a e28 so assuming this will work ok Can you guys review and chime in to steer me on this please. What I'd like to get out of this is a comprehensive list of parts that I can send to a breaker to get stripped off a 535i. If there is anyone wanting to take on the job then even better...let me know. I've given myself a deadline of May next year to complete the build. Currently working on getting her running properly again as she's not idling at the moment. Also need to change the petrol tank as its leaking. Once I've got these bits sorted she's off to the restoration company to do all the welding etc. Once out from there I'd like to get the transmission swapped. Thanks
  24. Guys got a 02 530d sport with 300k miles. The suspension is a bit tired now, so looking to replace all front suspension arms etc. So far I've got Sachs dampers and top mounts. Was going to buy the individual bushes and replace them on the arms but see no point in this, as arms with both bush and balljoint, you'd still be left with a worn non balljoint end if only the bush part is replaceable? Where's the best place to buy the good quality parts, and can it all be bought in one place as a service kit rather than hunting ebay euro carparts for individual items with the possibilty of ordering wring parts not for the diesel?
  25. Dakota

Runflats questions - sorry!

Thanks for all the advice, pretty sure when these RFs are worn out I'll try the normal tyres, better ride and a good deal cheaper.
  26. NWJW

Ordered than new 530e yet?

Little Bastards. What a waste of a creme egg.....
  27. Back2Beemer

Time to Change the Company Car

How would you describe the sound mate? Bass focused? Set up for clarity etc? What kind of music do you normally listen to?
  28. NWJW

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Got any more pictures of the car? I quite like a red e39 but you don't see many of them about.
  1. Load more activity
    • ^^^ As above @530nm   Meyle are more than adequate, don't need to be the HD variants either   A lot of us use BMWmotormec via eBay and they're great to deal with and can post ASAP usually   I'd also look to polybush the ARB bushes, but no others. This is personal preference however
    • Did think that, Millers do a similar oil and 'think' the Triple QX 10W40 meats ACAE3/4 standards too (although the bottle states for diesels etc)   Fuchs do a few; but I think they're all semi-syn, used them a lot with most of my previous Hondas etc (I had an account with Opie at one point)  
    • Tanya batteries have always been superb with me. Great customer service.  I thought they were bases in Wales though, not Luton?!
    • I thought the M54 powered E39's were either Euro4 or Euro2??? depending on market.   The online build sheet websites usually say the emmission standard.   My E39 is from Singapore and is EU2, with no EGR or SAI pump. I think the Euro4 have SAI pumps? (no EGR though - don;t think M54s used them - they use valve timing instead).     A build sheet from a BMW Dealer, on letterhead, surely would be adequate? They can look up any car worldwide, as I understand.
    • I can also confirm that a 019 will fit under the rear seat of an E34. That's exactly what I fitted in my 540iA/T